Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by venu <lu...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/11 12:04:32 UTC

ActiveMQ Monitoring alerts

Hi All,

I am very new to ActiveMQ, could any one please suggest:

1. When the number of pending messages for any queue is not zero.
How to know that with in a particular time period  (for example 60 seconds).

2. When the number of consumers for a queue is not what it is supposed to be
(5, or 10, depending on the queue).

How do I configure ActiveMQ to tell me these things?

Is this data in a database I can monitor?  or is this in a text-based log
file?  Or somewhere else?

Thanks in advance !!!!!

Venu.

Re: ActiveMQ Monitoring alerts

Posted by Zakeria Hassan <za...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Just to add a bit to the answer.

You want something that you can set alerts right?

One option is to use a JDBC datasource and if your using a database then
you can set triggers. Note it may be slow on performance. If thats not the
option you want then there are third party tools out there that you can use
to monitor activemq. I don't know if this page is updated:

http://activemq.apache.org/how-can-i-monitor-activemq.html

If it isn't I'd be glad to update that with tools I find out there.

Hope it helps

Thanks,
Zak

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Venu,

My comments inline:

> 1. When the number of pending messages for any queue is not zero.
> How to know that with in a particular time period  (for example 60 seconds).

You can use JMX: ActiveMQ provides different MBeans allowing you to
check the pending messages in queues.
You can also use the command line (activemq) which relay to the JMX layer.

> 2. When the number of consumers for a queue is not what it is supposed to be
> (5, or 10, depending on the queue).
>
> How do I configure ActiveMQ to tell me these things?
ActiveMQ itself can't raise an alert. However, again using JMX you can
have the number of consumers on a queue. You can also enable the logging
plugin to get additional messages (when a consumer is slow, etc).

> Is this data in a database I can monitor?  or is this in a text-based log
> file?  Or somewhere else?

The data/activemq.log contains a lot of useful information (including
the messages coming from the logging plugin). Different system can poll
JMX and store in a backend.
I blogged about how to use logstash/elasticsearch/kibana with ActiveMQ:
http://blog.nanthrax.net/2014/03/apache-karaf-cellar-camel-activemq-monitoring-with-elk-elasticsearch-logstash-and-kibana/

Regards
JB

> Thanks in advance !!!!!