Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> on 2008/11/18 22:34:52 UTC

State of affairs

Hey folks,

I am looking for something like Lucene to use via C/Objective-C.
(Preferably even compatible so that it can read the indexes generated
by the java version - but that's no requirement)

It seems like Lucene4c is dead and looking through trunk of Lucy it
seems like there also isn't much yet. (Unless I missed something).

So what's going on with Lucy?

Is there any other library I could use? Any pointers?

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: State of affairs

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> Two other non-Lucene-ish full text search libraries are Swish (C) and Xapian (C++).

Both GPL :-(

> In the grand scheme of its development, KinoSearch (Lucy antecedent / rough
> draft) is reasonably close to having a C API.  But there's still a fair amount
> of work to be done.

Hope there is progress. Looking forward to see that emerge.

Thanks, Marvin!

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: State of affairs

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:34:52PM +0100, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> I am looking for something like Lucene to use via C/Objective-C.
> (Preferably even compatible so that it can read the indexes generated
> by the java version - but that's no requirement)

There's CLucene (C++) and Lucene.NET.  Both offer limited support for old
versions of the Lucene file format.

Two other non-Lucene-ish full text search libraries are Swish (C) and Xapian (C++).

> It seems like Lucene4c is dead and looking through trunk of Lucy it
> seems like there also isn't much yet. (Unless I missed something).
> So what's going on with Lucy?

See the threads at <http://xrl.us/oxq3p> and <http://xrl.us/oxq3v> (Links to
mail-archives.apache.org).

In the grand scheme of its development, KinoSearch (Lucy antecedent / rough
draft) is reasonably close to having a C API.  But there's still a fair amount
of work to be done.

Marvin Humphrey