Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Elie Medeiros <nc...@networkphotographers.com> on 2003/05/19 11:30:14 UTC

Slightly OT: Logging usage across both Controller (Struts) and Model components - is this possible?

hi there,

I am writing the error-logging part of our system, and I thought it
would be nice to track which classes were getting executed in both the
Controller and Model portions of the application. This would allow me to
find out exactly at which point in the web-app the error occured, and
what steps the user had been through to cause the error, which would
make for easier debugging.

However, I haven't been able to think of a way to pass some kind of
unique identifier to both the objects in the Contoller (I could use the
SessionId here) and those in the Model (ie independent of Struts/Servlet
contexts, and thus not able to use sessionId) to keep track of which
users are executing which methods in the log file. One solution would be
to pass that identifier in the class constructor (or similar), which
seems unwieldy and which i'd rather avoid. Has anyone come across this
problem before and/or found a solution to it?

Thanks,
Elie