Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Juanpablo Lajud <ro...@viajez.com> on 2003/09/12 21:12:12 UTC

BindException :: Shutdown Port 8005 :: Solaris 5.9

Hi all,

I am experiencing difficulties with port 8005. It crashes
with a BindException after trying to start it.

	OS:  SunOS 5.9
	www2# java -showversion
	java version "1.4.0_03"
	Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.0_03-b04)

I have tried 5 different Tomcat Versions:

	3.3.1a  	- Works

	4.1.18  	- Crashes
	4.1.27  	- Crashes
	5.0.11  	- Crashes
	Sun JWSDP 1.2	- Crashes

In all cases after waiting for $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh quite a while.
I get the following error at  $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out:

StandardServer.await: create[8005]: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign
requested address
java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:321)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:308)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:266)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:182)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await(StandardServer.java:523)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:633)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:595)
        at
)
        at

I have checked if I have a server using that specific port and
it  doesn?t seem to be the case.

www2# netstat -an | grep 8080
www2#

I even tried by changing the port on the server.xml file to another and it
continues
to crash.

The user with which I am trying to start the service is root. I don?t see
why
it wouldn?t have permission to start it.

I have checked who is the owner of the Tomcat Files, and in all cases it is
root.

www2# ls -la
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         788 Dec 19  2002 startup.sh

Do you have a clue on what is going on here, is there any well known problem
or

RE: BindException :: Shutdown Port 8005 :: Solaris 5.9

Posted by Mike Curwen <gb...@gb-im.com>.
What do you get with:
 netstat -an | grep 8005

If you get:
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:8005          0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN

It might be that Tomcat didn't manage to completely kill itself on a
previous shutdown.

Do you get anything with this?
ps -ax | grep "[o]rg.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start" | awk
'{printf $1 " "}'

If you do, kill the first pid in the list, rerun the ps query, and if it
still returns anything, kill the next pid in the list, and so on until
it's dead.

netstat again, and see if there is still a tcp connection  open

Posted by Juanpablo Lajud <ro...@viajez.com>.
There is no process LISTENING at port 8005

www2#netstat -an 8005
www2#

And I tried checking on ps -af

and there is nothing left there.