Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie> on 2013/07/17 19:50:33 UTC

Manager on FreeBSD

Hi Guys,

Just a purely out of interest post here.

Has anybody tried running Cloudstack on FreeBSD in a production environment?

If so did you encounter any issues?

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Manager on FreeBSD

Posted by Dean Kamali <de...@gmail.com>.
I don't see a point in doing that anyway.

Re: Manager on FreeBSD

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
The problems are likely in places where the Java code interacts with the OS
itself.  It would be an interesting experiment to try though!

Re: Manager on FreeBSD

Posted by Dave Dunaway <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Manager on FreeBSD

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.

Re: Manager on FreeBSD

Posted by Dean Kamali <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: Manager on FreeBSD

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 6:45 AM, Shanker Balan
<sh...@shapeblue.com>wrote:

> On 17-Jul-2013, at 6:50 PM, Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie> wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Just a purely out of interest post here.
> >
> > Has anybody tried running Cloudstack on FreeBSD in a production
> environment?
> >
> > If so did you encounter any issues?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ian
>

> A few months back I was playing around with CloudByte's ElastiStor which
> is a FreeBSD ZFS based storage solution. The interesting thing is that
> their management interface is built with the Apache CloudStack management
> framework. At the time, the interface was almost identical to stock
> CloudStack. in fact, it was so identical that one might even assume that it
> is really cloudstack thats controlling their storage layer.
>
> In short, they have the "UI" running with their propriety storage adapters
> on FreeBSD 8.x IIRC. Their evaluation builds are available from
> http://www.elastistor.info/builds/.
>
> http://www.cloudbyte.com

Very interesting information...

> As a side note, having Apache CloudStack manager work on FreeBSD would
> clear a path for creating and distributing production ready "cloudstack
> appliances". These appliances would be fully compliant with the permissive
> ASF guidelines.

Yup.  It certainly would be a path to that.

Re: Manager on FreeBSD

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.
On 17-Jul-2013, at 6:50 PM, Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just a purely out of interest post here.
>
> Has anybody tried running Cloudstack on FreeBSD in a production environment?
>
> If so did you encounter any issues?
>
> Thanks,
> Ian

A few months back I was playing around with CloudByte's ElastiStor which is a FreeBSD ZFS based storage solution. The interesting thing is that their management interface is built with the Apache CloudStack management framework. At the time, the interface was almost identical to stock CloudStack. in fact, it was so identical that one might even assume that it is really cloudstack thats controlling their storage layer.

In short, they have the "UI" running with their propriety storage adapters on FreeBSD 8.x IIRC. Their evaluation builds are available from http://www.elastistor.info/builds/.

http://www.cloudbyte.com

As a side note, having Apache CloudStack manager work on FreeBSD would clear a path for creating and distributing production ready "cloudstack appliances". These appliances would be fully compliant with the permissive ASF guidelines.

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560 055

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.