Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2018/06/21 10:35:19 UTC

2nd Oracle donation of NetBeans to Apache is complete

Hi all,

Great news -- the process of completing the 2nd donation is now done --
Oracle has made available a ZIP file constituting the 2nd donation. Oracle
donated around 4,000,000 lines of code in the 1st donation last year and
has now completed the 2nd donation constituting around 1,500,000 lines of
code. This donation constitutes the modules of NetBeans dealing with
enterprise Java, JavaScript, PHP, Groovy, as well as miscellaneous features
applicable to Mobile and Web development.

We will continue to wrap up the final release of Apache NetBeans
(incubating) 9.0, which will be focused on Java SE only. After that, or at
least separate from that process, we will start relicensing the new code,
i.e., from the 2nd donation, once it is in Apache NetBeans Git. Right now,
it is a ZIP file, it needs to be moved to Apache NetBeans Git, and we need
to do that in the right way, and figure out what the right way is.

Thanks -- and this is a significant step forward in the transition of
NetBeans from Oracle to Apache.

Gj

Re: 2nd Oracle donation of NetBeans to Apache is complete

Posted by Gaurav Gupta <ga...@gmail.com>.
 Awesome news!

Thanks and kind regards,
Gaurav Gupta
<https://twitter.com/ImJeddict>  <https://jeddict.github.io/>
<https://www.youtube.com/JPAModeler>

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
Absolutely an awesome news !!!

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.
For reference, the ZIP being donated is hosted here http://bits.netbeans.org/download/apache-donation/v2/ and has the SHA256 hash e3069c904d2174c278f91e7551d15830ffcdf5052994052af4ad323e13430f67

I have downloaded the ZIP and verified the hash.

It's unclear to me which revision from http://hg.netbeans.org/releases/ was zipped, will have to clarify later. There's also no tag for the 2nd donation there.

Now, everybody, try not to hammer that link, we will import the ZIP into our Git repository soon.

PS: Come to think of it, the archive is only ~40MB we could attach it to a JIRA issue too?

--emi

Posted by Angelo Quaglia <an...@gmail.com>.
That's great news, indeed!

Posted by Vano Beridze <va...@gmail.com>.
Can't wait to test NetBeans 9.next with Java EE

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.