Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Samuel Kevin <lo...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/23 04:14:13 UTC

Re: about the legalization of script like ltmain.sh

Thanks, Niclas. I get the idea.
the following is the situation: we have such script like ltmain.sh, which
includes GPL license declaration, in our project.
and i find that in package of httpd, there's some script also has GPL
license but i fail to find the GPLed script in SVN repos.
so i wonder if:
                    such script can't be committed to SVN but can be packed
in release package?
if it can't be warpped in release package, do we need to apply a exception
from GNU community so that we could continue the release?

regards,
Kevin

http://incubator.apache.org/bluesky/

Fwd: about the legalization of script like ltmain.sh

Posted by Samuel Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
> the following is the situation: we have such script like ltmain.sh, which
> includes GPL license declaration, in our project.
> and i find that in package of httpd, there's some script also has GPL
> license but i fail to find the GPLed script in SVN repos.
> so i wonder if:
>                     such script can't be committed to SVN but can be
packed
> in release package?
> if it can't be warpped in release package, do we need to apply a exception
> from GNU community so that we could continue the release?

I don't know about other scripts "like" ltmain.sh, but I do know about
ltmain.sh: this specific script, when generated by GNU Autotools, and
used for the purposes of aiding the building of the project in
question using gcc is OK to be committed to ASF SVN repositories.

http://tinyurl.com/ydlsclc

> regards,
> Kevin

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Samuel Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sam:
       three other script are declared with GPL, i will list the declaration
here:

   1. libtool: # libtoolT - Provide generalized library-building support
   services.
   # Generated automatically by  (GNU DTU 0.1)
   # NOTE: Changes made to this file will be lost: look at ltmain.sh.
   #
   # Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
   # Free Software Foundation, Inc.
   #
   # This file is part of GNU Libtool:
   # Originally by Gordon Matzigkeit <go...@gnu.ai.mit.edu>, 1996
   #
   # the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
   # (at your option) any later version.
   #
   # This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
   # WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
   # MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
   # General Public License for more details.
   #
   # along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
   # Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307,
   USA.
   #
   # As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
   # distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
   # configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
   # the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.
   2. the rest 2 scripts share the same license:# Common stub for a few
   missing GNU programs while installing.
   # Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
   # Franc,ois Pinard <pi...@iro.umontreal.ca>, 1996.

   # the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
   # any later version.

   # along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
   # Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA
   # 02111-1307, USA.

it seems to me that the libtool script is OK , but i am not sure about the
second declaration. Thanks.
regards,
Kevin

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
2009/11/22 Samuel Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>:
> Thanks, Niclas. I get the idea.
> the following is the situation: we have such script like ltmain.sh, which
> includes GPL license declaration, in our project.
> and i find that in package of httpd, there's some script also has GPL
> license but i fail to find the GPLed script in SVN repos.
> so i wonder if:
>                     such script can't be committed to SVN but can be packed
> in release package?
> if it can't be warpped in release package, do we need to apply a exception
> from GNU community so that we could continue the release?

I don't know about other scripts "like" ltmain.sh, but I do know about
ltmain.sh: this specific script, when generated by GNU Autotools, and
used for the purposes of aiding the building of the project in
question using gcc is OK to be committed to ASF SVN repositories.

http://tinyurl.com/ydlsclc

> regards,
> Kevin

- Sam Ruby