Posted to repository@apache.org by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> on 2006/01/10 22:52:33 UTC

repository documentation

i'm making another effort with the developer documentation available in
foundation and especially with the release related material. one area
where we're not scaling very well ATM is that projects without old hands
as release managers are finding it difficult locating the information
they need.

AFAIK there isn't anything repository related in the developer
documentation.

AIUI the repository team prefers to keep documentation in the wiki. this
has some advantages and some disadvantages (including the risk of urls
and content changing).

does the repository team have an official web site and official
documentation (or is it all in the wiki)?

if it's all in the wiki is this a conscious permanent decision or is the
intention to have a proper web site one day?

many relatively communities don't really know that the repository team
exists or what it's role is. i think that it'd be a good idea to add a
brief description together with appropriate links. anyone want to set me
out on the right track?

- robert

Re: repository documentation

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 10.01.2006, at 22:52, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> AIUI the repository team prefers to keep documentation in the wiki.
> this
> has some advantages and some disadvantages (including the risk of urls
> and content changing).
>
> does the repository team have an official web site and official
> documentation (or is it all in the wiki)?

While the wiki is fine while working on stuff it doesn't make sense
for any official guidelines; these should be always placed at http://
www.apache.org/dev/.

> if it's all in the wiki is this a conscious permanent decision or
> is the
> intention to have a proper web site one day?

The goal of this list was to come up with official procedures and
policies of the repository's usage - so unless there's something at /
dev/ I consider this attempt to be failed...

> many relatively communities don't really know that the repository team
> exists or what it's role is. i think that it'd be a good idea to add a
> brief description together with appropriate links. anyone want to
> set me
> out on the right track?

You can always start at http://www.apache.org/dev/drafts/ - that's
the working area; when the doc is ready to be published we can move
it to http://www.apache.org/dev/... that's all there is to it...

Cheers,
Erik

Re: repository documentation

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/16/06, robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 10:28 -0700, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> > On 1/12/06, robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > who about keeping the mailing list open as a place where committers can
> > > ask questions about the process and so on (since it somewhat fits into
> > > the pseudo plan of splitting out concerns from the overstretch main
> > > infrastructure list)?
> >
> > Sounds good to me. :)  But from the main Wiki page, "ASF Repository"
> > seems to only mean www.apache.org/dist, so once again I may not be in
> > the right place. :/
>
> it's as good a place as any :)
>
> > Is anyone planning to address policies for the internal and snapshot
> > Maven repositories?  It's not clear what's allowed, what's required
> > and what's forbidden.
>
> AIUI that's precisely the sort of question that this group was created
> to answer. it'd be good if someone in the interest group could jump in
> with an answer now. (otherwise, unfortunately it means going through the
> mailing list...)

So who is on the interest group?

How about this:

Internal (I presume this is the one that gets rsynced to ibiblio?)

What's allowed - Apache jar releases.
What's required - Pom's with each release. md5.
What's forbidden - Non-ASF works. Non-released Apache works. Removing a file.

Snapshot (I presume not rsynced to ibiblio):

What's allowed - Unreleased Apache jars.
What's required - Pom's with each jar. md5. SNAPSHOT naming scheme (or dated).
What's forbidden - Non-ASF works. Released Apache works. Removing a file.

---

Personally I think that the repositories should be managed through SVN
- with commit emails going to this list. It's been working for me on a
smaller scale at osjava.org :)

I'd even like to see hooks that auto-md5 it. Asylum would be another
option - but we'd have to write an app.

Hen

Re: repository documentation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@apache.org>.
On 1/12/06, robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> wrote:

> who about keeping the mailing list open as a place where committers can
> ask questions about the process and so on (since it somewhat fits into
> the pseudo plan of splitting out concerns from the overstretch main
> infrastructure list)?

Sounds good to me. :)  But from the main Wiki page, "ASF Repository"
seems to only mean www.apache.org/dist, so once again I may not be in
the right place. :/

Is anyone planning to address policies for the internal and snapshot
Maven repositories?  It's not clear what's allowed, what's required
and what's forbidden.

For example, at one time the build for Struts Shale depended on an
unreleased version of Spring Webflow.  It's not an ASF project, but it
is ASL 2.0 licenced.  Could we have put it in the internal Maven repo
cvs.apache.org/repository?

Wendy

Re: repository documentation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 10:19 +1100, Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi robert,

hi Brett

> I promised to do this some time ago, and never got around to it. I
> promised to do it for Hen yesterday, and it still fell through. Part
> of the hold up is that there is still a little uncertainty about the
> best way to locate and use it, and I still have some things to follow
> up on that.

ok

AIUI the general policy is that general, language and project
independent content should live in dev together with hints, tip, best
practise and so on. i'm not really sure where the best place for stuff
which is too language specific for dev (so hopefully you may find some
answers...)

> Honestly, I don't see much activity happening here in the long run. I
> think the group should be folded back into infra@ and the relevant
> documentation should appear in the foundation /dev/ site.

ok

who about keeping the mailing list open as a place where committers can
ask questions about the process and so on (since it somewhat fits into
the pseudo plan of splitting out concerns from the overstretch main
infrastructure list)?

> I was going to cut it into the maven site first. I'd be starting from
> the wiki page with my name on it and a series of emails on this list.

yep

> Basically we need docs for:
> - how to upload releases to the repository manually (ant users, etc)
> - how to automate with Maven 1.x
> - how to automate with Maven 2.x

+1

would the maven material be best hosted over in mavenland?

> Let me know how you would like to work on this.

sequentially - a little bit at a time :)

i don't plan to grab large tranches of work and borrow away without
committing until it's perfect so don't anyone be afraid that they'll be
stepping on my toes: feel free to dive in and patch. the con

unless there are any objections, i'll probably forward some commits with
extra comments so people have a chance to correct me and also work out
what i'm up to. please feel free to jump in.

i've started outlining some background material here
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html. this is probably as
good a place as any for policy material as well (see
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html for the approach i've
been taking to policy - try to keep policy separated from best practices
and background).

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi robert,

I promised to do this some time ago, and never got around to it. I
promised to do it for Hen yesterday, and it still fell through. Part
of the hold up is that there is still a little uncertainty about the
best way to locate and use it, and I still have some things to follow
up on that.

Honestly, I don't see much activity happening here in the long run. I
think the group should be folded back into infra@ and the relevant
documentation should appear in the foundation /dev/ site.

I was going to cut it into the maven site first. I'd be starting from
the wiki page with my name on it and a series of emails on this list.

Basically we need docs for:
- how to upload releases to the repository manually (ant users, etc)
- how to automate with Maven 1.x
- how to automate with Maven 2.x

Let me know how you would like to work on this.

- Brett