Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Hou, Rowena" <Ro...@scr.siemens.com> on 2003/08/06 22:23:05 UTC

Tomcat 4.1 & https problem

Hi,

I've been running Tomcat as a standalone Web server for a while. My project
run fine at http with sign applet. I want to switch from HTTP to HTTPS.
I followed the directions in the document"
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/ssl-howto.html" :

   1. keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA -keystore mykeystore
   2. keytool -certreq -keyalg RSA -alias tomcat -file certreq.csr -keystore
mykeystore
   and
   3. uncommented the connector provided by the config file:
         enableLookups="true"
         acceptCount="10" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"
         useURIValidationHack="false">
        <Factory
className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
           clientAuth="false" protocol="TLS"
           keystoreFile="full path to mykeystore"
           keystorePass- "changeit"
        />
     </Connector>

However, it isn't working. I can't start Tomcat at all. I don't get any
errors at prompt or in the logs; I tried to use command window run "start
tomcat". It popup a command prompt and disappear. If I change className to
<Factory className="org.apache.catalina.net.SSLServerSocketFactory"
which used in document. I can start Tomcat and get "http://localhost:8443"
work but not https://localhost:8443 ( I commented out connector for http in
server.xml file).
I use jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12-LE-jdk14 which come with jbuilder 8. runing on
Window 2000 and IE 6

Question:
1. How can I fix the problem.
2. How can I find out error message? I tried to rum "catalina debug
-security" from command prompt. Most of error message is unrecognized.

Re: Tomcat 4.1 & https problem

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"full path to mykeystore" is a very unusual name for a file. ;-).

Re: Tomcat 4.1 & https problem

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.