Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Mike Haberman <mi...@ncsa.uiuc.edu> on 2001/07/04 00:26:37 UTC

Can we get rid of Criteria in security?

Would it be a wise idea to deprecate all the uses of Criteria in
Security and hence

    BaseSecurityService
    SecurityService
    TurbineSecurity

as well as UserManager

The methods that require a Criteria object include
    getUsers
    getGroups
    getRoles
    getPermissions
    and UserManager.retrieve(Criteria)

Here's my rationale

  1. if someone wants to implement their own SecurityService, having them
  work with Criteria objects may not be possible or relevant (especially
  if they don't even use it for the rest of their peer model)

  2. It looks like a new SQL model will be used in the future that
  will replace Criteria.

  3. Criteria seems to be specific to databases

  4. Internally, Turbine doesn't use any of the above methods so
     all we would need to do is provide an application level support
     tool that provides that functionality (if that is even needed).

mike