Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/26 01:55:20 UTC

Installation of Jetspeed2 on Tomcat 6.x

Hello, I downloaded Jetspeed 2 and was able to get the sample portal to work
with the embedded 5.5 Tomcat provided with the download.  So the
Jetspeed2/bin/startup and shutdown.sh files would work, I had to redefine my
$CATALINA_HOME environment variable to point to this embedded instance
instead of the regular standalone Tomcat 6.0.x instance on my machine.

I would like to use, however, my regular Tomcat 6.0.x instance for Jetspeed
instead of the embedded version that comes with Jetspeed.  It is proving not
a simple matter of moving the /webapps/jetspeed folder over, because Tomcat
5 and Tomcat 6 have different classloaders, shared library processes, etc.,
and I'm not exactly certain what needs moving over.  Is there any
documentation available (or does anyone know) what I need to do to get
Jetspeed working on my standalone Tomcat 6 instance?  [1] seems to be for
Tomcat 5.5 only.

Thanks,
Glen

[1] http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/deployguide/guide-tomcat.html

Re: Installation of Jetspeed2 on Tomcat 6.x

Posted by Roberto Rossi <ro...@cone.it>.
Few days ago I moved one of my Jetspeed instance from Tomcat 5.5.26 to
Tomcat 6.0.18.

I had to change some catalina variables before running Jetspeed
correctly.
I can send you my little changes.

Let me know.

Re: Installation of Jetspeed2 on Tomcat 6.x

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Glen Mazza wrote:
> I can wait, but if it is not obvious how to move the new JS 2.2 from the
> embedded Tomcat to our standalone Tomcat, it would be good if you could give
> some quick notes on that.  I'll verify it, and submit a documentation patch
> for the website if you'd like.  (BTW, has the JS 2.2 site documentation been
> done yet--or will it be the same as JS 2.1.3 but with 2.2 specific notes
> added?)

The Jetspeed installers are primarily intended to get an out-of-the-box *example* of a jetspeed portal running quickly and easy.
But the real purpose of Jetspeed Portal is allowing you to build your own custom portal supporting all customizations right from within your
development environment.

When you setup a custom portal, you can simply target your own standalone Tomcat installation by setting the appropriate properties, see:

   http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/buildguide/maven-2-build.html

And, if you want the see/deploy the same -demo or -min installer configuration deployed on your standalone Tomcat, you can use our
predefined jetspeed:mvn target goals for that (after making sure you have build the source first if you build against trunk):

   mvn jetspeed:mvn -Dtarget=demo
or
   mvn jetspeed:mvn -Dtarget=min

All that is also described already on the above linked page.

BTW: Tomcat 6 now is the default targeted server. If you want/need to run against Tomcat 5 ( >= 5.5.27), you can configure that by setting
property <org.apache.jetspeed.catalina.version.major>5</org.apache.jetspeed.catalina.version.major>

Regards,

Ate

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.