Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2013/03/08 02:42:22 UTC

[PROPOSAL] New release procedure

Hello devs,

I would like to propose a new release procedure:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Release_Procedure

This proposal will pass on lazy consensus, so speak up if you want to
object.

How this differs from the old release procedure:

1) Code level tests (CLI, etap, etc) have been removed. The test procedure
has been updated to include an additional "make distcheck" step. This will
allow release candidates to go up very quickly, and puts the onus on you
guys to test things thoroughly.

2) The hashing and signing step has been split out from the build. This
allows the build to take place on a remote host that is not trusted with
your GPG key. I have also added an explicit step for checking
the authenticity of the tarball that is produced.

3) As much as possible has been automated. The scripts are a bit rough and
ready, but they will do, provided you follow the instructions precisely.
Once again, the hope is that this will make releasing less burdensome for
the release manager.

Please take the time to review the document, and to review the scripts.

The scripts are in the couchdb-admin.git repository:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/SourceCode

Please take the time to review these also.

The release procedure, and indeed the scripts, are not finished. They never
will be. I will be updating them over the next day or two, and during the
1.3.0 release. But they are finished enough that I am comfortable making
this proposal to the list.

Also, sorry for the noise. Testing against Subversion is... Tricky. :)

NS

Re: [PROPOSAL] New release procedure

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Lazy consensus established. We are moving forward with our new release
procedure. Yay!

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
It means that the only testing that I will do before calling a vote on the
candidate will be basic build system tests. Once the candidate is published
and vote has started, I will download the candidate and test it properly
along with everyone else.

Please remember that I will be calling a discussion thread before we get to
this stage. We should not get to a vote if the test suite is failing,
because people should be checking this, or Travis should be failing.

Posted by Wendall Cada <we...@83864.com>.