Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Georg Gell <ge...@have2.com> on 2009/10/23 21:17:29 UTC

change a file over an external checkout

Hello,

I am rather a newbie at subversion, I hope it is a simple question:
I have defined some external dependencies with svn:external.
Now I had to change a minor thing in a file of an external repository,
to which I don't have write access.
What is the correct way in this case? I sent them already a patch, and
eventually they will probably include it, but in the moment I have a
status where nobody can checkout a working version :-(

Thanks in advance
Georg

RE: change a file over an external checkout

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> I am rather a newbie at subversion, I hope it is a simple question:
> I have defined some external dependencies with svn:external.
> Now I had to change a minor thing in a file of an external repository,
> to which I don't have write access.
> What is the correct way in this case? I sent them already a patch, and
> eventually they will probably include it, but in the moment I have a
> status where nobody can checkout a working version :-(

Not much you can do but put that fix somewhere else and tell everyone to use it.

But, you might want to look into vendor branches. It is a method which allows you to use external code from third parties and be able to maintain your own customizations and still be able to merge in new versions from that 3rd party when you are ready for them.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.advanced.vendorbr

BOb

Re: change a file over an external checkout

Posted by Georg Gell <ge...@have2.com>.
Blair Zajac schrieb:

>> What you need to do is import the contents of that directory into a
>> Subversion repository where you *do* have write access. svn import can
>> probably help you here.
>
> You can use Piston to get an external svn repository into your local one:
>
> http://piston.rubyforge.org/
>
> It'll also keep your local one up to date with the external one.
>
> Regards,
> Blair

hi everyone,

you have been very helpful, at least I know now what options I have, and
where to read up.

Thank you!

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.
On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:07:51AM +0200, Georg Gell wrote:
> Would it make sense to checkout the external repository (or is this the
> same like import anyway?), then check it into my repository, do the
> changes and commit them to my subversion repository. And if they apply
> the patches, I still can remove the files from my svn server, and reset
> the svn:external to theirs with the new patches.
> Are there any disadvantages to this (licenses would permit this)?

If you're going to go this route, definitely look at vendor branches;
Bob sent a good summary and link just after my last reply to you.

tyler

Re: change a file over an external checkout

Posted by Georg Gell <ge...@have2.com>.
> As soon as you do this, your working copy points to a directory where
> you don't have write access, so this won't work.
>
> What you need to do is import the contents of that directory into a
> Subversion repository where you *do* have write access. svn import can
> probably help you here.
>
> None of this is a very good idea, though, and doubly bad if you aren't
> aware of the possible consequences of what you're doing nor how to
> recover if something goes wrong. Thus, I would solve this problem the
> "correct way" by getting the owners of the directory to accept your
> change.
>
> good luck,
> tyler

As I have sent them patches some weeks ago, and the only answer I got so
far is that they will look into up if they have time is not acceptable
in the short run.
Would it make sense to checkout the external repository (or is this the
same like import anyway?), then check it into my repository, do the
changes and commit them to my subversion repository. And if they apply
the patches, I still can remove the files from my svn server, and reset
the svn:external to theirs with the new patches.
Are there any disadvantages to this (licenses would permit this)?

Thanks again

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.

Posted by Georg Gell <ge...@have2.com>.
Tyler Roscoe schrieb:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 11:17:29PM +0200, Georg Gell wrote:
>> I have defined some external dependencies with svn:external.
>> Now I had to change a minor thing in a file of an external repository,
>> to which I don't have write access.
>> What is the correct way in this case? I sent them already a patch, and
>> eventually they will probably include it, but in the moment I have a
>> status where nobody can checkout a working version :-(
>
> The "correct way" is to get your change incorporated into the thing your
> external points to.
>
> You could hack around this by making a local copy of the thing your
> external points to, making your change, and updating the external to
> point at your new location.
>
> tyler

thanks for the quick answer. As said before I am rather new to the finer
details of subversion, so your answer is not entirely clear to me.

> You could hack around this by making a local copy of the thing your
> external points to, making your change, and updating the external to
> point at your new location.

You mean delete the external, svn co to the directory where the
svn:external points to, change the file, and then point svn:external to
the directory where I have made the svn co and changes?
Doesn't the next update overwrite my changes?

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.