Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by Shef <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2010/04/12 20:03:15 UTC

Extremely slow downloads

Archiva has become painfully slow. Based on other messages I've seen in this
forum, I'm guessing it's because an external repo is slow. Two questions:

1. How do I diagnose the problem and find the bad repo? We're connecting to
about a dozen of them.

2. Is there any setting that I can use to make things quicker, even with bad
repos?

Re: Extremely slow downloads

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 13/04/2010, at 4:03 AM, Shef wrote:

> Archiva has become painfully slow. Based on other messages I've seen in this
> forum, I'm guessing it's because an external repo is slow. Two questions:
>
> 1. How do I diagnose the problem and find the bad repo? We're connecting to
> about a dozen of them.

It should be obvious by connecting to them in a browser and seeing which is slow. Alternatively, you can turn on debug logging in Archiva (by editing the org.apache.maven.archiva.proxy logger in log4j.xml) and watch the timestamps as they are tried - though this isn't very helpful at runtime.

> 2. Is there any setting that I can use to make things quicker, even with bad
> repos?

There are a few things you can do:
- lower the timeouts on your proxy connectors
- make sure to configure whitelists and blacklists appropriately so that only requests designed for the given repo are sent there.
- sort the connectors so that the repos most likely to have an artifact are listed first. Note that if you configure white/blacklists, they are actually the "most likely" to get a hit since they'll be more specific that central would.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter