Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org> on 2018/09/10 09:10:51 UTC

[Discussion] Our GIT repo and Github

For references:
[1] https://git.apache.org
[2] https://reference.apache.org/committer/git
[3] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf
[4]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Trafodion+Contributor+Guide

Our project uses git as version control solution [1], and we have a
presence thereof at GitHub. The setup allows contributors who work on the
GitHub side (in their forks) to submit PRs and comments thereon from there
[4].

However, the setup dictates/includes only having read access to our GitHub
repo for our contributors (including those with the commit privilege). This
means (AFAIUI) that every commit action needs to take place at the ASF side
of the setup.

Would it be beneficial to our project to move from our current setup to the
'gitbox' approach that has been made available by the ASF, so that there
can the read/write permission for contributors (with the appropriate
privileges) working via the GitHub side?

WDYT?

[1] https://git.apache.org
[2] https://reference.apache.org/committer/git

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
since 2008*

Re: [Discussion] Our GIT repo and Github

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Of course, There is no need to rush this. And working on a set of
actionable items regarding this after 2.3 is a good goal.

Let's wait and see whether other viewpoints come forward.

Posted by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com>.
+1