Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Mike Klein <mi...@sbcglobal.net> on 2003/10/24 08:20:22 UTC

Is java:RPC provider really what anyone wants for a SOAP service?

Given that the point of soap is client/language-independence...it
returns an extremely unfriendly return type. Not that intuitive how to
pick out the pieces (at least in Perl via SOAP::Lite). Then again I find
perl (as a beginner) a little difficult in general...too many ways to do
the same thing!

Why wouldn't Document provider be default for language-independent
services instead?

mike

Re: Is java:RPC provider really what anyone wants for a SOAP service?

Posted by Stephen Gordon <st...@student.usyd.edu.au>.
My guess is that this was the first Provider implemented and was hence
the default... You could quite easily write another provider ;)

Axis is language-independent (jargon: heterogeneous) but you need the
appropriate Provider to call the back-end service. There's a lot of
scope for people to write extra Providers for other languages (HINT).

And yes, perl is quite difficult to start. But do you remember the first
time you used pointers in C ??

stephen

Posted by Mike Klein <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
My guess would be java:RPC is the default because of multi-ref
serialization...ability to store java object graphs (uhhh after reading
specs again).

And getting my feet wet with Perl via SOAP::Lite probably wasn't the
smartest thing to do...but I'm getting there slowly but surely. Function
vs. object calls into a Perl module really had me hammered for a while...

mike