Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by James Patrick Sigmon <jp...@ncsu.edu> on 2011/01/26 21:14:15 UTC

windows 7 failed to start

Hey guys,

With the Internet issue resolved, I was able to return to my Windows 7 image and complete the Cygwin install.  I proceeded to complete all the necessary steps thereafter.

When I make a reservation for the image, it gets to where it boots the image then windows fails to load - "Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause" (see attached screenshot).

I checked the vmware server manager and the only difference I can see is that the vmguest is being assigned the Guest OS: Other (32-bit).  As my image is a 64-bit, I believe this to be a hint at the problem.  I double checked the database and the architecture is set to x86_64.  So I'm at a lose as to what's going on here.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Patrick Sigmon

Re: windows 7 failed to start

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
Patrick,
I have encountered some similar behavior with Cygwin. In my case, /bin/bash
did not have the executable bit set on the Windows image. (`chmod +x
/bin/bash` fixed that). In any case, I found the sshd error logs to be very
helpful.

Aaron

--
Aaron Coburn
Systems Administrator and Programmer

Re: windows 7 failed to start

Posted by James Patrick Sigmon <jp...@ncsu.edu>.
Thanks again Andy!  After running the gen-node-key.sh script my Windows 7 image reserved perfectly :)

I didn't try rebooting the system after changing the setting, so perhaps that was it.  Either way its good to know this work around too.

Thanks,

Patrick

Re: windows 7 failed to start

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.