Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sebastian Arcus <s....@open-t.co.uk> on 2018/04/02 12:06:07 UTC

FUZZY_XPILL FP hitting all Travelodge emails

I have a client which handles a lot of hotel bookings as part of their
work - and all hotel booking confirmations coming from Travelodge (a UK
hotel chain) hit FUZZY_XPILL.

I've tried looking at the regex of the rule, but can't quite get my head
around what it is supposed to do, and can't figure out why it triggers
on all the Travelodge emails either. Could anybody provide some hints -
or have others seen this as well? I can provide some sample mail, if it
helps. Thank you.

Re: FUZZY_XPILL FP hitting all Travelodge emails

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, Kris Deugau wrote:

> Alex wrote:
>
>> We're also seeing it hit mailer-daemon emails.
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/raw/UXnzEN8U
>>
>> This one also hit FUZZY_AMBIEN, POISEN_SPAM_PILL (spelling incorrect)
>> and when I re-ran it here locally, FUZZY_DR_OZ.
>>
>> The problem is that it's hitting on the mime attachments which are
>> apparently treated as body text in mailer-daemon emails.
>>
>> ran body rule FUZZY_AMBIEN ======> got hit: "GRm8iEn"
>> ran body rule __FUZZY_DR_OZ ======> got hit: "DGCGS+"
>> ran body rule FUZZY_XPILL ======> got hit: "xxgnoX"
>
> If you look closely I expect you'll find that those are "poorly formatted"
> postmaster notices;  ie, any content from the original message is NOT
> actually wrapped up in a separate MIME part, it's just another blob of text
> stuffed in beside the actual postmaster notice info.

Even so, I'm surprised the Dr Oz rule hit *that*. I'll review it.

   At $8 billion per year, the TSA is the most expensive
   theatrical production in history.      -- David Burge @iowahawkblog
  8 days until Thomas Jefferson's 275th Birthday

Re: FUZZY_XPILL FP hitting all Travelodge emails

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Alex wrote:

> We're also seeing it hit mailer-daemon emails.
>
> https://pastebin.com/raw/UXnzEN8U
>
> This one also hit FUZZY_AMBIEN, POISEN_SPAM_PILL (spelling incorrect)
> and when I re-ran it here locally, FUZZY_DR_OZ.
>
> The problem is that it's hitting on the mime attachments which are
> apparently treated as body text in mailer-daemon emails.
>
> ran body rule FUZZY_AMBIEN ======> got hit: "GRm8iEn"
> ran body rule __FUZZY_DR_OZ ======> got hit: "DGCGS+"
> ran body rule FUZZY_XPILL ======> got hit: "xxgnoX"

If you look closely I expect you'll find that those are "poorly
formatted" postmaster notices;  ie, any content from the original
message is NOT actually wrapped up in a separate MIME part, it's just
another blob of text stuffed in beside the actual postmaster notice info.

 From the pastebin:

 > Hi. This is the qmail-send program

... yep.  qmail is one of the MTAs that deliberately breaks MIME
layering in its notices.

-kgd

Re: FUZZY_XPILL FP hitting all Travelodge emails

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Giles Coochey <gi...@coochey.net>.
>>> It found "xon, OX" in "Aylesbury Road, Thame, Oxon, OX9 3AT"
>>>
>>> It's an aggressive rule that finds anything that might be an
>>> obfuscated Xanax. It only scores 0.8 points because it can produce FPs
>>> like this.
>>
>> Actually that is my private, custom score. I think the default is 2.8
>> or something like that.
>
> *@travelodge.co.uk emails should be scoring much lower in SA around
> the Internet running sa-update regularly as long as there is an
> SPF_PASS and/or DKIM_VALID_AU hits.
>
> Setup OpenDKIM and DKIM signing on those outbound emails for even
> better delivery results.  This applies to any domain.
>
> I highly recommend setting up DMARC reporting to everyone out there to
> get feedback on your SPF and DKIM results.  It can be very interesting
> to see who is trying to spoof your domain and who is auto-forwarding
> your emails.

I stay at Travelodge regularly, it doesn't hit their marketing emails,
but Booking Confirmations and Invoices, come out with the following for me:

	*      domain
	*  2.8 FUZZY_XPILL BODY: Attempt to obfuscate words in spam
	*  0.0 HTML_FONT_LOW_CONTRAST BODY: HTML font color similar or identical to
	*       background
	*  0.7 MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
	* -1.9 BAYES_00 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1%
	*      [score: 0.0000]
	*  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
	*  0.0 T_FILL_THIS_FORM_SHORT Fill in a short form with personal
	*      information
	* -0.3 AWL AWL: Adjusted score from AWL reputation of From: address

It is still a bit way off before it could be considered SPAM.

Re: FUZZY_XPILL FP hitting all Travelodge emails

Posted by Giles Coochey <gi...@netsecspec.co.uk>.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

--
David Jones

Re: FUZZY_XPILL FP hitting all Travelodge emails

Posted by Sebastian Arcus <s....@open-t.co.uk>.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Arcus <s....@open-t.co.uk>.
On 02/04/18 14:26, David Jones wrote:
> On 04/02/2018 07:18 AM, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>> Thank you - one example here: https://pastebin.com/UGStfCys
>>

>> On 02/04/18 13:10, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>>> Pastebin a sample(s).
>>>
>>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018, 08:06 Sebastian Arcus <s.arcus@open-t.co.uk
>>> <ma...@open-t.co.uk>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     I have a client which handles a lot of hotel bookings as part of
>>> their
>>>     work - and all hotel booking confirmations coming from Travelodge
>>> (a UK
>>>     hotel chain) hit FUZZY_XPILL.
>>>
>>>     I've tried looking at the regex of the rule, but can't quite get
>>> my head
>>>     around what it is supposed to do, and can't figure out why it
>>> triggers
>>>     on all the Travelodge emails either. Could anybody provide some
>>> hints -
>>>     or have others seen this as well? I can provide some sample mail,
>>> if it
>>>     helps. Thank you.
>>>

> I have added an entry to 60_whitelist_auth.cf to help with this in all
> SA instances that run sa-update regularly.  This will be out there in a
> couple of days trusting email from that sender when there is an SPF_PASS
> or DKIM_VALID_AU hit.
>
> def_whitelist_auth *@travelodge.co.uk
>
> These emails from Travelodge are important enough to be DKIM signed as
> well for http://dkimwl.org which I would eventually like to get added to
> the default SA ruleset.

Thank you very much for the fix and for the quick replies.

Re: FUZZY_XPILL FP hitting all Travelodge emails

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Arcus <s....@open-t.co.uk>.
On 02/04/18 13:35, Pedro David Marco wrote:
> Sebastian,
>
> can you run
>
> spamassassin -D -t </youremail.eml 2>&1 | grep got | grep FUZZY_XPILL
>

> and post the result, please?

Hi Pedro. Please find the output below:

Apr  2 15:45:59.961 [6928] dbg: rules: ran body rule FUZZY_XPILL ======>
got hit: "xon, OX"

Re: FUZZY_XPILL FP hitting all Travelodge emails

Posted by Pedro David Marco <pe...@yahoo.com>.
 Sebastian,

----PedroD

Re: FUZZY_XPILL FP hitting all Travelodge emails

Posted by Sebastian Arcus <s....@open-t.co.uk>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Pastebin a sample(s).