Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Nick Lothian <nl...@educationau.edu.au> on 2005/05/23 02:23:03 UTC

FAQ (was RE: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/)

[snip]
> >Does anyone have any benchmarks on such designs?
> >As a hard-core real-time and device driver guy, I am rather
> skeptical
> >that this is anything else but a conflict in requirements, runtime
> >performance in execution speed versus interpretability and/or
> >compilability of the runtime module.
> >
> >But then again, I've only been working with Java at all for
> less than
> >four years :-)
> >

> The discussion has been rehashed a lot of times.  I'd like to
> see it put to rest (perhaps we need a technical FAQ?).  See
> the end of this email for a brief answer anyway...*

Should we do a FAQ on the Wiki or start a website (since now Harmony
officially is in the incubator)?

(Either way I'll volunteer to get this going)

[snip]

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information. If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose its contents to any other party.
This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.
It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses or any other defects.
education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly or indirectly by this email.

Re: FAQ (was RE: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 22, 2005, at 8:23 PM, Nick Lothian wrote:

> [snip]
>
>>> Does anyone have any benchmarks on such designs?
>>> As a hard-core real-time and device driver guy, I am rather
>>>
>> skeptical
>>
>>> that this is anything else but a conflict in requirements, runtime
>>> performance in execution speed versus interpretability and/or
>>> compilability of the runtime module.
>>>
>>> But then again, I've only been working with Java at all for
>>>
>> less than
>>
>>> four years :-)
>>>

>> The discussion has been rehashed a lot of times.  I'd like to
>> see it put to rest (perhaps we need a technical FAQ?).  See
>> the end of this email for a brief answer anyway...*
>>

> Should we do a FAQ on the Wiki or start a website (since now Harmony
> officially is in the incubator)?
>
> (Either way I'll volunteer to get this going)

Great - start in the wiki, and we can bring out to website when it's
filled out.  Easier to start on wiki.

geir

geirm@apache.org