Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/14 21:19:55 UTC

Mina 2.0.0 release : heads up

  It was a painful day today... Who says that Maven is saving you time ?

Anyway, thanks to Olivier Lamy, we were able to 'release' Mina 2.0.0,
well, almost.

The problem I had to fight against all day long was that a
xxx-source-release.tar.gz file was created and ended eating my whole
disk. How possible ? Simple : the parent apache pom now contains some
default configuration telling the assembly plugin to generate the source
files because it's *mandatory* to release sources at The ASF.

WTF ? I *know* that it's mandatory, and I'm capable of telling the build
to generate the sources files myself !

The biggest issue with this approach is that this defaut config was
gathering *all* the sources from *all* the modules, and stroes them
where you tell him to do, namely in the distribution/target directory.
So where was the problem ? distribution/target was considered as a place
where some sources were stored, so maven was reading the file found in
this directory and stored them into the release-source file. You bet
that it stored the file into itself until the disk is full !

So Olivier Lamy patched the main pom to override this stupid behavior.

It was not the end of the story : everything went fine, except two things :
- My PGP key is suposely not found in any server when I try to close the
staged repo in Nexus. Fuck it ! I successfully closed a staged repo
yesterday with the *exact* same pgp key, so whats wrong with it today ???
- and the distribution module has not been released correctly in the
process : it's marked as 2.0.0-RC2-SNAPSHOT in the 2.0.0 tag.

I'm not sure that the second point is really a problem, as the
distribution module is just used to generate the bin and srcs packages
that will be available for our users, except that the names are not correct.

The pgp key problem is more problematic, and I think I will try to cut
another release either tonite, or tomorrow.

Let me tell you one thing : nothing is simple when it comes to release
something at The ASF, and the tools we are using are frankly far from
being perfect. At some point, I'm wondering if we should not just simply
tag the sources, and forget about what we put in the maven repo. Once
the sources has been tagged, whatever we put in maven is just produced
from the tag anyway, and this is not what we vote anyway. Maven release
is just adding a huge amount of burden we could perfectly avoid here.

That's it for now...

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Mina 2.0.0 release : heads up

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maven release is just adding a
> huge amount of burden we could perfectly avoid here.

Use mvn deploy, never mvn release :-)

/niklas