Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Andre-John Mas <am...@expedia.com> on 2004/08/24 23:44:46 UTC

HttpClient and Java.nio?

Hi,

Has anyone done any experimentation to see if Java NIO could add anything
extra, performance wise, to HttpClient?

Andre

Re: HttpClient and Java.nio?

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.

Andre-John Mas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone done any experimentation to see if Java NIO could add anything
> extra, performance wise, to HttpClient?
>
> Andre

Not that I know. The main reason why NIO is not used, is that we want to
be compatible with JDK 1.3.

Ortwin Glück

Re: HttpClient and Java.nio?

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Andre,

To my knowledge no-one has done much work with HttpClient and NIO.
Theoretically speaking I don't know if NIO would have much (if any) of
an impact though.

Mike

Re: HttpClient and Java.nio?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@bearingpoint.com>.
Andre

I have been working with the NIO quite extensively for the last few
months. Here's my take on the problem. I believe as of HttpClient 4.0 we
should no longer maintain 1.2 (actually HttpClient is still fully jre
1.2 compatible) compatibility. That would enable us to leverage some of
NIO features primarily new Buffer and Charset classes. This said, in my
opinion there's absolutely nothing that NIO can bring in in terms of
performance to client-side applications. The channel multiplexing
functionality of NIO can _potentially_ improve performance and
scalability of server applications by allowing to do away with the 'one
thread per socket' model. The mileage may vary, though, depending upon a
particular JRE implementation and the costs of thread creation and
context switching in a specific OS.

Oleg

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 23:44, Andre-John Mas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone done any experimentation to see if Java NIO could add anything
> extra, performance wise, to HttpClient?
>
> Andre

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.