Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Andy Jefferson <an...@jpox.org> on 2007/09/29 16:04:52 UTC

Apache JDO : site

I propose moving a number of JPOX docs general to JDO onto Apache JDO's site.
To be more specific, we (JPOX) have some docs under
http://www.jpox.org/docs/jdo/jdo_overview.html
some of which need updating (some of the figures are outdated or could be
cleaner), but all are based around explaining the JDO spec to users (since
the average JDO user doesnt go near the spec, but may respond better to
pretty flow charts and sample code). They would sit better over on Apache JDO
IMHO.

Issue 1 : Anyone against this move of content? Any issues, or any of the docs
in that section not suitable ?

Issue 2 : by moving these docs over, the Apache JDO site will start to get
much more content than it currently has, and when this happens it may be
necessary to add top-level navigation as well as the current side navigation,
or to add hide/show features to the side navigation. Apache JDO currently
uses some "Anakia" (?!) to generate the docs which I know little of (except
that its Velocity underneath), so why is this used instead of Maven1 "site"
plugin (which is also Velocity) ? Any objections to using Maven1 "site"?

--
Andy  (Java Persistent Objects - http://www.jpox.org)

Re: Apache JDO : site

Posted by cbeams <cb...@gmail.com>.
+1 on moving these docs

- Chris

Re: Apache JDO : site

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Andy,

On Sep 29, 2007, at 7:04 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> I propose moving a number of JPOX docs general to JDO onto Apache
> JDO's site.

Good idea.

> To be more specific, we (JPOX) have some docs under
> http://www.jpox.org/docs/jdo/jdo_overview.html
> some of which need updating (some of the figures are outdated or
> could be
> cleaner), but all are based around explaining the JDO spec to users
> (since
> the average JDO user doesnt go near the spec, but may respond
> better to
> pretty flow charts and sample code). They would sit better over on
> Apache JDO
> IMHO.

I agree.

Re: Apache JDO : site

Posted by Michelle Caisse <Mi...@Sun.COM>.
In principle, I think it's a good idea to have these docs on the JDO
site. I'll take a closer look at them later.

We were set up with Anakia when we entered Apache. I don't know of any
reason why we shouldn't change if there is a need to. I think I prefer a
multi-level left side bar rather than having both top and side. We will
probably only need the multiple levels for docs, so it might be
confusing to have top navigation across the site. I don't know anything
about maven site, but if it works well for JPOX, that's fine. I'll work
with you on making the transition if others are okay with it.

-- Michelle