Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/12/14 17:23:01 UTC

Help needed on CMS : How can we bypass template application?

On the marketing list we're preparing a "content experiment" to try
different variations of social networking icon placement.  The idea is
to increase brand awareness by encouraging downloaders to share the
good news about AOO with their friends.

As part of this experiment we're creating several variations of the
download page.  But we're changing more than the body.  We're working
directly with the HTML, changing stuff that ordinarily would be done
via the template skeleton, header, footer, etc.  Don't worry, this is
just a mock up. Whatever we learn from this experiment would feed back
into the real template.  However, in order to do this experiment we
need to be able to freely change the page and make, in some cases, 9
different variations of it.

The problem is if we check in these mockups, the CMS will try to apply
the template.  And that makes a mess, since we already have the
template applied.  (Remember, we're starting from the full HTML).

So what we're looking for is some easy way we can avoid applying the
site-wide template to a set of web pages.  Since this experimentation
will likely be an ongoing effort, it would be good to have a way that
does not require mucking around with perl script every time.

Is there any way we can arrange it so:

1) All files in a given directory, say /content-experiment, are passed
through as-is with no template applied?

or

2) All files that match a given naming pattern, say,
XXXX-content-experiment.html, skip the templating process

or

3) All files with a given <meta> header such as <meta
property="content-experiment" value="true"> skip the templating
process

(I think 3 is the most flexible, but not sure how hard this is to code).

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Help needed on CMS : How can we bypass template application?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 17, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Alternately you could write a positive
>> regexp and a pass_thru view to view.pm
>> a'la
>>
>> sub pass_thru {
>>    my %args = @_;
>>    open my $fh, $args{path} or die "Can't open $args{path}:$!";
>>    read $fh, my $content, -s $fh;
>>    return $content, html => %args;
>> }
>>

> Thanks, I like that approach.  After testing locally, and a with a
> small modification, I've checked that in.

We've collided, fyi. I guess my full scan will follow yours. I was applying Daniel's htm suggestion with the same comment :-)

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.