Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by scr <r....@consultant.com> on 2007/05/04 15:36:10 UTC

Re: Add Info: Caching DOM and GVT to disk

important additional info:

I updated my app to v1.7beta1.
This accalerates rendering about factor 5!

Same test conditions as before
parsing:        1140..1531
symbols:        125..219
gvt tree:       2047..2515
script binding: 766..2437
rendering:      890..1015ms!!!! (before ~5s)
total:         5500..7218

But script binding is now slower (in my tests)

Is rendering in v1.7 that much faster?
Was script binding modified in v1.7? Can I do any improvements then?

Re: Add Info: Caching DOM and GVT to disk

Posted by scr <r....@consultant.com>.
Hi Tom,

>...run of the garbage collector?
this could propably be true. I did only 4 tests - so average, min or max is
not really representative, but good enough for a rough estimation. even load
from beginning or reload shows differences (I think, because of class

>Was this on a Mac?
No, WinXP, "ATI Mobility Radeon X1400" graphic board.
I guess, without having a look at the source, your fix mentioned rendering
O*N^2, hits the problem. When we were testing with smaller files = less
elements, performance of v1.6 wasn't that poor. In our experience rendering
(and parsing time, too) increased exponentially -> O*N^2. So, imo, you did a
good job at this point.

If my guess is true, I would propose to mention this fix at v1.7's change
log prominently - to show that batik grows mature handling large amount of
data...

My collegues are satisfied with performance now. So, for more improvements,
imo, we have to optimize the SVG files - I'll discuss that in another
thread, if needed ;)

Thanks for your support.

Posted by th...@kodak.com.