Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org> on 2011/11/25 13:17:08 UTC

Roadmap for Apache Aries 1.0

Hi,

I would like to propose we come up with a road map for getting the bundles
in aries up to the 1.0.0 release. Some things I think we need to do are:

   1. Ensure we comply with relevant OSGi CTs
   2. Ensure we do semantic versioning
   3. Ensure we have a well defined API for extending and reusing blueprint
   such that our internals are not exposed and we can ensure we don't break
   CXF, XBeans-Blueprint, Karaf et al

Based on the discussions over the last few weeks I would like to suggest we
have a discussion about what is needed by extenders of blueprint. While
those working on CXF, XBeans-blueprint Karaf etc all know how they are
using blueprint that information is not known to the whole aries community
causing may issues. We can then move to having an API we can keep stable,
and internals we can break.

Thoughts?
Alasdair

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

RE: Roadmap for Apache Aries 1.0

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@apache.org>.

Tim Ward
-------------------
Apache Aries PMC member & Enterprise OSGi advocate
Enterprise OSGi in Action (http://www.manning.com/cummins)
-------------------

> Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:47:42 +0000
> Subject: Re: Roadmap for Apache Aries 1.0
> From: gcharters@gmail.com
> To: dev@aries.apache.org
>
> I took your last para to be a suggestion for blueprint- my mistake.
> It seems to be the one giving us the most indigestion.  By suggesting
> util first, as its at the bottom of the stack, is there a criterion
> that says a 1.0 release can't/shouldn't depend on pre-1.0 modules?

I think that there should be, otherwise you have a confusing difference between the pre 1.0 and post 1.0 semantic versioning we do. Some dependencies would need minor ranges and others major. Not easy to understand from the outside!

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
I think the aim should be for blueprint to be the first major 1.0 module. I don't think we need the dependencies to be at 1.0, but I think it would be safer.

Alasdair Nottingham

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@gmail.com>.