Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2001/01/09 18:45:35 UTC

FINAL_* flags ?

Here's the concept: We create a family of env vars, called
FINAL_* (eg: FINAL_CFLAGS) that are passed to all configures.
Looks like we could then add this to the COMPILE line in
rules.mk if I'm reading that right.

Re: FINAL_* flags ?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 10:12:44PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:

> > > with a bit of minor addition to fastgen.sh to store it in
> > > the Makefiles
> >
> > Hrm... we're getting a real explosion of flags, rather than dropping back
> > and looking at the problem from scratch. This will mean we have CFLAGS,
> > EXTRA_CFLAGS, and FINAL_CFLAGS. Then throw in OPTIM for good measure, and I
> > bet there are one or two others that I'm not thinking of.
> >
> > IMO, we should just have:
> >
> > input: CFLAGS
> > output: (autoconf-discovered-)CFLAGS USER_CFLAGS
> >
> > We can pass USER_CFLAGS to the sub-configures as CFLAGS. Like any normal
> > autoconf script, they read CFLAGS on input and propagate that into the
> > output CFLAGS.
> >
> > Note that (I believe) it is normal behavior for an autoconf script to read
> > CFLAGS on input. That's at least the expectation (and evidenced by Ben's
> > attempt to do "CFLAGS=-Werror ./configure"
>
> Then the subconfigures will fail in eactly the same way!

No, no... I didn't explain completely, I guess. You and Jim both read it
this way.

"First" lines in configure.in:

  USER_CFLAGS="$CFLAGS"
  CFLAGS=""

Then at the very end, we can either munge them together, or subst both of
them and have the compile line use both values (I'd prefer the latter).

That should cure the problem.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: FINAL_* flags ?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Greg Stein wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 12:48:07PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's the concept: We create a family of env vars, called
> > > FINAL_* (eg: FINAL_CFLAGS) that are passed to all configures.
> > > Looks like we could then add this to the COMPILE line in
> > > rules.mk if I'm reading that right.
> >
> > with a bit of minor addition to fastgen.sh to store it in
> > the Makefiles
>
> Hrm... we're getting a real explosion of flags, rather than dropping back
> and looking at the problem from scratch. This will mean we have CFLAGS,
> EXTRA_CFLAGS, and FINAL_CFLAGS. Then throw in OPTIM for good measure, and I
> bet there are one or two others that I'm not thinking of.
>
> IMO, we should just have:
>
> input: CFLAGS
> output: (autoconf-discovered-)CFLAGS USER_CFLAGS
>
> We can pass USER_CFLAGS to the sub-configures as CFLAGS. Like any normal
> autoconf script, they read CFLAGS on input and propagate that into the
> output CFLAGS.
>
> Note that (I believe) it is normal behavior for an autoconf script to read
> CFLAGS on input. That's at least the expectation (and evidenced by Ben's
> attempt to do "CFLAGS=-Werror ./configure"

Then the subconfigures will fail in eactly the same way!

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

Re: FINAL_* flags ?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> Here's the concept: We create a family of env vars, called
> FINAL_* (eg: FINAL_CFLAGS) that are passed to all configures.
> Looks like we could then add this to the COMPILE line in
> rules.mk if I'm reading that right.

How would this work for the other sub-projects, like APR and APR-util?

Just asking, because adding it to the COMPILE line won't get those
projects.  Although, those projects may have a similar line.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131