Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de> on 2003/11/25 09:33:40 UTC

svnadmin hotbackup question

Hi...

What I wanted to ask a while ago....

With 0.33 there is the svnadmin hotbackup command by now. Unfortunately it
is not mentioned in subversion book yet.

Can I do a svnadmin hotbackup during operation of svn, or do I have to
shutdown apache, call it and restart apache?
If calling it during runtime is possible (which would be very good) what
will happen if someone tries to write to the repos while
svnadmin hotbackup is running?

Thanks,

Roland

Re: svnadmin hotbackup question

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de> writes:

> Can I do a svnadmin hotbackup during operation of svn, or do I have to
> shutdown apache, call it and restart apache?

If you had to jump through all those hoops, it wouldn't very well be a
"hot" backup, now would it?  :-)

> If calling it during runtime is possible (which would be very good) what
> will happen if someone tries to write to the repos while
> svnadmin hotbackup is running?

First, it's 'svnadmin hotcopy'.  But what you should expect to happen
in this situation is that the hotcopy will create a copy of your
repository that contains all the revisions that were completed before
the hotcopy was begun.  Operation of the repos, even with respect to
commits- and updates-in-progress, should not be affected during the
hotcopy.