Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ha...@informatiefabriek.nl on 2003/05/06 12:17:33 UTC

Re: Tomcat eats 100% CPU !

Maybe Tomcat is just compiling your jsp. (This only happens the first
time)

Cheers,

Harm de Laat
Informatiefabriek
The Netherlands

yogi-ml@darkmag.net
05/06/2003 12:12 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>

tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
cc

Subject
Tomcat eats 100% CPU !

Hail,

First of all, hello to everybody, i just subscribed to this ML, i guess
it'll be more practical than Sun's forums to help, be helped and exchange
experiences/issues.

To introduce myself, i'm a 23 years old french student in computer
science, and i actually work for my training course on a J2EE web
application (with Tomcat :). I'm using PHP for 3 years, and i'm fairly
newbie with JSP/Servlets as it's my first "real" project with it !

Now you're aware of who am i, let's go !

I coded a webapp under Tomcat 4.1.18 with J2SE 1.4.1-1 and J2EE 1.3.1,
Oracle 9i, the whole on a PIV 2.4 Ghz / 512 Mb with Windows XP SP1.

I use Javamail/JAF, JSP pages, servlets, taglibs ("simple" tags or body
tags - 1.2 specs) and a datasource (an Oracle connection pool (DBCP), with
the patched classes12.jar for both Oracle 8i & 9i). The webapp is pretty
heavy (lots of SQL requests, dozen of tags + an authentification layer w/
sessions, and so more) but everything runs perfectly, it takes
approximately between 0.5 and 1 second to process and generate the HTML
pages.

As my webapp is finished, i'm trying to deploy it on my company's server.
It's a DELL server, with 512 Mb RAM running with Windows NT 4 (don't know
the SP - i may check if necessary). I don't really know what kind of CPU
is it, but it's a huge monster. It's running Tomcat 4.0.3 LE with J2SE
1.4.0, and an Oracle 8.1.7.

My problem is that sometime it's blazzing fast, sometime it's horribly
slow.. I mean, for a same page, it may be processed in less than 0.3 sec
as it may be processed in 25 or 30 seconds.. In the last case, the
java.exe process (remember, Tomcat LE) takes 99% of the CPU, i really
don't know what it's computing and what's happening.. There's no timeout,
the pages is entirely generated, but it's slow !

In all the cases, while processing a servlet or jsp script, the Oracle
process don't consume lots of CPU (3 or 4%, not more), i don't think the
problem comes from there.

I tried J-Sprint to profile my webapp, but it didn't help me much.

I really don't know what to do right now, the webapp should be released
for 2 days, everything is ok except that..

Any help/tip/advice/suggestion or eventually shotgun would be GREATLY
appreciated !

Thx a lot,

YoGi