Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> on 2005/01/18 19:59:48 UTC

Re: Distributed Subversion servers running off of same DB - possible?

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 09:27, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> i.e. is the internal design of subversion's database locking
> sufficiently good such that it can even extend outside of
> running subversion on different machines with access to the same
> databases?

The BDB-based repository back end can handle multiple server processes
on the same machine.  However, BDB relies on locking through shared
memory segments, which does not work over distributed filesystems.

The FSFS repository back end can handle multiple server processes on
different machines, each accessing the repository through a distributed
filesystem.  It requires only the basic ability to lock files; no need
to lock byte ranges.  (I'm not sure that DFS works well enough to be an
option, but AFS or sufficiently modern NFS are fine.)

Re: Distributed Subversion servers running off of same DB - possible?

Posted by Travis P <sv...@castle.fastmail.fm>.
On Jan 18, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>> (I'm not sure that DFS works well enough to be an
>> option,
>
>  i am informed that DCE/DFS is about the only distributed file
>  system that correctly does all POSIX file semantics, including
>  byte range locking.

My experience with DCE/DFS for some years has been that it's
locking/distributed-sync capabilities are at least as good as AFS.  I
say that with the caveat that I haven't stressed anything except
conservative use of lock files.  If Greg says that AFS will work, then
I'd believe that DCE/DFS would too.

Now, it's fine-grained Unix+ACL permission system is far too
complicated for most mortal users, but that's an entirely different
story (AFS strikes a much better balance IMO).

-Travis

Re: Distributed Subversion servers running off of same DB - possible?

Posted by Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lk...@lkcl.net>.
On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 02:59:48PM -0500, Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 09:27, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > i.e. is the internal design of subversion's database locking
> > sufficiently good such that it can even extend outside of
> > running subversion on different machines with access to the same
> > databases?
>
> The BDB-based repository back end can handle multiple server processes
> on the same machine.  However, BDB relies on locking through shared
> memory segments, which does not work over distributed filesystems.
>
> The FSFS repository back end can handle multiple server processes on
> different machines, each accessing the repository through a distributed
> filesystem.  It requires only the basic ability to lock files; no need
> to lock byte ranges.

 ah, that's _great_ news.

> (I'm not sure that DFS works well enough to be an
> option,

 i am informed that DCE/DFS is about the only distributed file
 system that correctly does all POSIX file semantics, including
 byte range locking.

 [it's a pity that it's been suffocated for so long ...]

> but AFS or sufficiently modern NFS are fine.)

 cool.  that's even better.  if there existed a distributed nfs
 server... perish the thought :)

 thank you ever so much for responding, because that means i can
 recommend this as a solution to the client.

 ta,

 l.