Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@apache.org> on 2019/05/17 09:00:32 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Mentors SHOULD vote on podling releases prior to asking IPMC to vote

FWIW I tried this just recently and was requested to not do it again. Worth knowing https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0571e9dd1b7711c588a38d8a664378ce7df31c72592edcbe8ab8a72b@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
and I also said in the announcement that this was a concurrent vote.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Look like the topic changed, somehow? Why?
This should a discussion about the possibility and recommendation about **parallel vote**.

Let’s stay in that one, OK?

----------------
Back to the topic, as both IPMC and Zipkin mentor,
**parallel vote** is good to improve the slow progress about incubator project release.

Apache NetBeans project is not alone, I have been there, also I took/am taking part in several incubating projects.
Not just as mentor or ASF perspective, but as a community member, feature contributor, even designer.
I have heard many many feedback about the time of release too long.

**parallel vote** fits the project which already have big community and mentors are active in voting and discussion.
We(Incubator) need at least 3 +1 from IPMC, which could be mentors, and mostly from mentors, when they are active.
Even in parallel mode, the IPMC still get at least 72 hours to recheck the release.

The purpose of incubator, from my understanding, is guiding the project to build the community, be familiar with ASF, following ASF way and get better.
If **parallel vote** could help the project in that way, in this case, I want to say yes.

I know, if the project community is too young, and the mentors are not active, parallel vote may make too many traffics.
I would suggest to get the suggestions from project mentors, they should be know the project better than other IPMC.

Sheng Wu
Apache Skywalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin

> 在 2019年5月18日,下午9:24,Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 写道:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I nagged our mentors privately to vote and mentioned that I would be
>> trying a concurrent vote.
>
> IMO that communication should be public, part of doing things at the ASF is being open and tranparent. Again IMO that decision would of been better done via consensus of the PPMC and not conducted in private.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Mentors SHOULD vote on podling releases prior to asking IPMC to vote

Posted by ba...@tobin.nl.
Sorry Justin but this is you looking for “problems” that just are not there and to me it comes across as you taking joy out of frustrating people. Nothing about “nagging mentors privately to vote” holds any additional / relevant information that needs disclosure to the public.

So something needs to be done AND this CTA has been advertised in public and we all want to move things forward.  Now we have the option to either contact stakeholders directly to do it in a much more effective synchronous manner to expedite things or plea a second  time in a public forum for this CTA in the hope they read and take action on time.

Please stop trying to see issues in everything because the boy cried wolf effect is enormous and you’re hurting morale.

Bas

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Yes, we (mentors of Zipkin) were informed about the vote in private mail.
I think it should be fine to ping mentor privately about the release
vote, as we cannot always monitor the dev mailing list.
Otherwise, it will some time for us to response the release vote.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
I informed our mentors.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Given your podling has made few releases and each one has had some issues I would suggest you did this too soon, but happy to see what other IPMC members have to say on this.

Thanks,
Justin