Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Bob Byron <bb...@radit.com> on 1999/08/31 20:10:12 UTC

Re: Any Jakarta news?

Okay, so what are the "ballpark estimates" you mentioned.

And, since the emails say this is just a legal thing, does that
mean that jakarta is in the box and ready to go out the day the
contract is signed?

Posted by James Todd <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
to add a bit, the "tomcat" code base also includes:

	a java build env (aka ant) -
		which i happen to thoroughly enjoy :)

	a build test env (aka moo) -
		provides a warm fuzzy for the developer
		who is ready to check in a code mod

regarding servlet 2.2, all features have been implemented
and the tests are looking promising. one item i'm toying
with at the moment is to run a webapp from a non-expanded
war (web application archive) file. the "how and why" of
this is a smidgen beyond the scope of the servelt 2.2 spec
but none the less it looks to be viable and i think appealing
to some mid to largish sized dynamic content sites as a
means to more readily manage WebApp mods.

likewise, i believe the jsp 1.1 ri is tracking along nicely
as well.

once i get a couple of fresh cycles i hope to dive back into
the "add a new WebApp without requiring a server bounce" and
other "server configuration issues" which have been discussed
a bit on the tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org list.

hope this helps,

- james

Re: Any Jakarta news?

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
> The executable versions of this code is already in public use - it's the
> JSWDK 1.0 final release, with support for Servlet 2.1 and JSP 1.0.
> Connectors to Apache or any other web server aren't in JSWDK, but I would
> expect that there's been work being done inside Sun on these things already.

Yep. Costin has been hard at work on connecting Tomcat to Apache -- with
a fair degree of showable success. We showed off Apache forwarding
requests to Tomcat at the Monterey conference during our BOF.

> In the mean time, Sun has also indicated that they are working towards
> compatibility with Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1.

Servlet 2.2 is pretty much nailed as far as feature set coverage, JSP
1.1 is coming along, but still has a ways to go.

.duncan

Re: Any Jakarta news?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cm...@mytownnet.com>.

Re: Any Jakarta news?

Posted by thor hw <th...@echidna.net>.
Hmmm ... I still think it is foolish.
The code drop from Sun is the start of the "real" project, not the end.

Now, there may be some misunderstanding.  I have not checked what the new
web pages say.  If a million penguins fall over watching a plane cross
over-head, is it still a smart thing to do?

I don't believe wordy, long or short repsonses are nescessary, but certainly
correct terminology.  So your "out-in-the-box" is wrong no matter how I read
it, abridged or wordy version.

Thor HW

Re: Any Jakarta news?

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
> As for this thread being foolish, I think the shear volume of

We hear ya!

> I do hope the legal wrangling is over soon.

I hate saying "me too", but hell -- "me too".

.duncan

Re: Any Jakarta news?

Posted by Bob Byron <bb...@radit.com>.
I know that Jakarta is the name of a project and did know before
I sent out my email.  "in the box" was an expression meaning that
a working version can be made available for download once the
contract is signed.  I just made the mistake of saving a few words
not realizing it would be picked apart and I would have to follow-up
with a ridiculously wordy email explaining why I took short cuts in
the first email.  It is okay, I can be wordy if necessary.  I just
usually find being wordy a waste of time.  Hence, my short cut with
the "in the box" phrase.  I will confess, however, that I did not read
the archives that contained the projected release date.

Re: Any Jakarta news?