Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Carlton Gibson <ca...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/19 15:37:37 UTC

Mac OS X download.

Hi All,

* I'm Carlton, I'm new here. :-)
* I'm a long-time user of CouchDBX but I see that's disappeared for the now.
* I also see on http://couchdb.apache.org a "Coming soon? Why don’t you contribute one?" for the Mac OS X download link.

I'm relatively new to Erlang — beginning to contribute to CouchDB is my way of making sure I get to know it properly — but my day job is in Objective-C.

— I'd be very happy to be part of a group to fill in the blank.

1. It would be nice to resurrect CouchDBX — or build a replacement if that's not possible.

2. For a vanilla command-line install, are people just using homebrew? — or, what's needed here? (Again I'm new, but keen.)

My hope in writing this mail is that there's someone who's thinking, I could do the Mac build but for {A,B...N}...

Kind Regards,

Carlton

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Ah, found it here https://github.com/couchbase/couchdbx-app

Not sure how I missed that. I swear I looked at that account.

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Carlton Gibson <ca...@gmail.com>.
On 23 Apr 2012, at 22:20, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here it is:
>
> https://github.com/downloads/refuge/rcouch/rcouch-0.5.tar.gz

Hi all.

Sorry for the delay in following this up — I haven't had much time for it.

Short Version
------------------
The refuge repo at https://github.com/refuge/rcouch "Just works" — Unless I'm missing something (which I might be) I can't see why http://couchdb.apache.org doesn't just like to the download Benoit points to and recommend that for new users.

Longer Version
---------------------

### 1.
 I spent some time trying to get the Couchbase repo to build. I download the Erlang dependencies but I don't know enough/have the time to figure out how to put it all in the right place with the right incantations. (Part of the reason I'm here is to _learn_ about Erlang.)

If someone (Dustin/Dave/Other?) can get the Couchbase repo so it checkouts and builds, I'm very happy to work o the "Mac App" bit of it going forward if the refuge version isn't acceptable for some reason.

(Beyond this, my plan now is to start with entry-level tickets.)

### 2.
Re. 10.8 and Gatekeeper:
 * If people build CouchDBX or rcouchX themselves, no problem.
* Best bet would be for a pre-built version to be signed.
* Otherwise, the page linking to it should say, "Turn off Gatekeeper; launch app; turn Gatekeeper back on"

Regards,

Carlton

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Carlton Gibson
<ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 Apr 2012, at 20:02, roger.moffatt@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> You have no idea happy an easy to install couchedb for osx would make me.
>> If we can ultimately make this into an app for free distribution via the
>> app store, that would be even better ... is that a remote possibility?
>>
>> So really this is just a note to encourage those working on couchdbx to say
>> that I await it's resurrection with enthusiasm!
>
> Good encouragement Roger! :-)
>
>> On 20 April 2012 23:17, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>
>
> How did you get on Dave?
> — I didn't get to look at building the couchbase repo again yet.
>
>>> Here it is:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/downloads/refuge/rcouch/rcouch-0.5.tar.gz
>>>

>>> http://benoitc.im/vrac/rcouchx/Screen%20Shot%202012-04-20%20at%2011.55.48%20PM.png
>>>
>>> see previous mail on how to build it.
>>>
>>> - benoît
>
> I loked at this today. I couldn't get to run...

> On 10.8 it runs afoul of the new Gatekeeper feature.
> On my 10.6 box I just got an error. (32 vs 64 bit I guess.)
>
> I will see if I can build it myself but it looks (equally with the couchbase repo) to be what we're after.

Try:

https://github.com/downloads/refuge/rcouch/rcouchx-0.5.2.zip

It's reported to work on 10.6/10.7 . For 10.8 it will need to change
the place where logs are saved.

> Re. Roger's comments about the App Store:
>
> It would be awesome to have CouchDBX in the store. As soon as I can get clear on the whole build process I'd be happy to sign an application for this and handle submitting it.
>
> Would it be feasible for the Apache Foundation (CouchDB Branch) to handle this instead though? That way the new version of the app would be more secure going forward. — I'd be happy to maintain it but ideally it wouldn't depend on any one or small group of developers.
>
> 10.8 is going to require a developer certificate signing anyhow so this question should be addressed.

I'va all the things for that but t will require sometimes before to
go. Probably in may.

- benoît

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Carlton Gibson <ca...@gmail.com>.
On 23 Apr 2012, at 21:13, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

>> On 10.8 it runs afoul of the new Gatekeeper feature.
>
> The problem with that is that (afaik) running sub-process is not allowed, which in turn means to compile CouchDB and Erlang and SpiderMonkey and ICU statically into the .app binary. This has been done this for a proof-of-concept iOS distribution before, but it sure isn't pretty.

I'm not sure about any restriction on subprocesses. — E.g. BBEdit is signed and launches various helpers. — My understanding (and I will check) was that as long as your initiating scripts that are inside your bundle (and so under the protection of the code-signing) then you're good to go.

>> Re. Roger's comments about the App Store:
>>
>> It would be awesome to have CouchDBX in the store. As soon as I can get clear on the whole build process I'd be happy to sign an application for this and handle submitting it.
>>
>> Would it be feasible for the Apache Foundation (CouchDB Branch) to handle this instead though?
>
> I'd prefer that the tools to build a CouchDBX would live with the Apache CouchDB project, but I don't think we want to be responsible for maintaining relationships with the AppStore and producing binaries and updates.
>
>> That way the new version of the app would be more secure going forward. — I'd be happy to maintain it but ideally it wouldn't depend on any one or small group of developers.
>
> This would be interesting to find out, but I'd suggest to not worry about this until we've got some cool software to actually submit :)

This was just a thought, but yes, agreed. :-)

>> 10.8 is going to require a developer certificate signing anyhow so this question should be addressed.
>
> Can you point to more resources about this. AFAIK the signing will be optional and usually useful for end-user apps. Since CouchDBX is more targeted at developers who are more likely to turn the signing feature off or to a lower level, we can avoid dealing with that.

Yes you can turn Gatekeeper off.

The docs (such as they are) are here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/#documentation/Security/Conceptual/Security_Overview/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000976-CH1-SW1

(Remember the NDA — I don't know off-hand how much has changed from the public docs on code-signing — it's been around a while.)

My view before this conversation was that we could bundle and sign everything we needed to not require disabling Gatekeeper. (I don't think Sparkle would work with it though.) The App Store would (ideally) require some extra steps to ensure continuity. (But as you say that can wait.)

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Apr 23, 2012, at 21:06 , Carlton Gibson wrote:

> On 23 Apr 2012, at 20:02, roger.moffatt@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> You have no idea happy an easy to install couchedb for osx would make me.
>> If we can ultimately make this into an app for free distribution via the
>> app store, that would be even better ... is that a remote possibility?
>>
>> So really this is just a note to encourage those working on couchdbx to say
>> that I await it's resurrection with enthusiasm!
>
> Good encouragement Roger! :-)
>
>> On 20 April 2012 23:17, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>
>
> How did you get on Dave?
> — I didn't get to look at building the couchbase repo again yet.
>
>>> Here it is:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/downloads/refuge/rcouch/rcouch-0.5.tar.gz
>>>

>>> http://benoitc.im/vrac/rcouchx/Screen%20Shot%202012-04-20%20at%2011.55.48%20PM.png
>>>
>>> see previous mail on how to build it.
>>>
>>> - benoît
>
> I loked at this today. I couldn't get to run...
>
> On 10.8 it runs afoul of the new Gatekeeper feature.

The problem with that is that (afaik) running sub-process is not allowed, which in turn means to compile CouchDB and Erlang and SpiderMonkey and ICU statically into the .app binary. This has been done this for a proof-of-concept iOS distribution before, but it sure isn't pretty.

> On my 10.6 box I just got an error. (32 vs 64 bit I guess.)
>
> I will see if I can build it myself but it looks (equally with the couchbase repo) to be what we're after.
>

> Re. Roger's comments about the App Store:
>
> It would be awesome to have CouchDBX in the store. As soon as I can get clear on the whole build process I'd be happy to sign an application for this and handle submitting it.
>
> Would it be feasible for the Apache Foundation (CouchDB Branch) to handle this instead though?

I'd prefer that the tools to build a CouchDBX would live with the Apache CouchDB project, but I don't think we want to be responsible for maintaining relationships with the AppStore and producing binaries and updates.

> That way the new version of the app would be more secure going forward. — I'd be happy to maintain it but ideally it wouldn't depend on any one or small group of developers.

This would be interesting to find out, but I'd suggest to not worry about this until we've got some cool software to actually submit :)

> 10.8 is going to require a developer certificate signing anyhow so this question should be addressed.

Can you point to more resources about this. AFAIK the signing will be optional and usually useful for end-user apps. Since CouchDBX is more targeted at developers who are more likely to turn the signing feature off or to a lower level, we can avoid dealing with that.

Cheers
Jan

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Carlton Gibson <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ro...@gmail.com.
You have no idea happy an easy to install couchedb for osx would make me.
If we can ultimately make this into an app for free distribution via the
app store, that would be even better ... is that a remote possibility?

So really this is just a note to encourage those working on couchdbx to say
that I await it's resurrection with enthusiasm!

Roger
(iOS developer)

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Dustin Sallings <du...@spy.net>.
On Apr 20, 2012, at 12:07 PM, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:

> I'll have a whack at this on & off over the weekend. It's the xcode
> stuff that scares me so we will make a good team :-)

	I will admit that I experimented a bit with "the Xcode way" in a couple of areas here.  That basically means there are a couple (simple) shell scripts embedded in that XML file and managed by the UI.    Somehow in doing that, I have lost the thing that downloaded the erlang distribution.

	There was an embedded shell script that did this (found in git history).  Seems to have gone missing in one of the newer versions.  It happens before the "install core" build phase:

VER="R14B03-OSX-10.6.8"
FN="erlang-$VER.tgz"
URL="http://downloads.northscale.com/builddeps/$FN"

dest="$BUILT_PRODUCTS_DIR/$UNLOCALIZED_RESOURCES_FOLDER_PATH/couchbase-core"
mkdir -p "$dest"

test -f "$FN" || curl -sfO "$URL"

cd "$dest"
gzip -dc "$PROJECT_DIR/$FN" | tar xf -
echo "Installed erlang $VER into $dest"

--
dustin sallings

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Dustin Sallings <du...@spy.net>.
On Apr 20, 2012, at 10:56 AM, Carlton Gibson wrote:

> I'm not interested in erasing anything either. — I started the new repo as a proof-of-concept to myself more than anything.
>
> First, I had limited time and couldn't get the old repo working.
>
> * I tried building at HEAD but Xcode complained of a missing .plist file.
>
> 	Trying to build Couchbase Server Single at HEAD:
> 		error: could not read data from '/Volumes/Lion/home/Dropbox/Projects/GitHub/CouchDBX/Couchbase Server/Couchbase Server-Info.plist': The file “Couchbase Server-Info.plist” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file.

	There's a Makefile at the top level that generates the plist file to include the current version.  It pulls the version from `git describe` so all you have to do is tag it and "make" and you'll get the whole thing.

> 		- First of _many_ but most of the others are due to the lack of the Erlang files.
>
> * I tried opening an early commit but Xcode complained about missing a project.pbxproj file.
>
> Where I was I was looking at one class and one nib file to have something running. That I've got, and even if we do fork off the existing repo building it won't have been wasted time.
> (Also, I've given up trying to fix broken Xcode projects.)

	I suspect it should be pretty easy to get everything together.  I rolled out five or six releases on this thing from a couple different machines, and I don't like repeating myself, so it should go pretty smoothly, though may require just a bit of setup (I also don't like bending environments to my will, so I wouldn't expect it'd need all that much).

> FOR ME, the hard work is all the Erlang+ CouchDB stuff that I haven't even looked at. If you could point me to a commit that you recommend that I can checkout and build with perhaps a quick explanation of your build process to get the Erlang/CouchDB in place I would be really grateful.
> (I'd be happy to arrange a time to chat online if that's easier for you!)

	The Xcode build should download erlang R14B03 (a binary package I put together that's stripped down).  We can make a new one of those with a more recent erlang build, but I'd expect the existing one to work for now.

> I'm only here because I want to contribute to CouchDB — I see on the homepage a missing Mac download and I know CouchDBX got me started. — Whilst I'm learning I can get that back on the road.
> (I'd prefer to work with a build that already exists if possible.)

	I, for one, am very happy to get a new version of this going.  Doubly if an enthusiast out in the wild does it. :)

--
dustin sallings

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Dustin Sallings <du...@spy.net>.

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Maybe config editing.

Re: CouchDBX Redux

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Very happy to see this work!

I would like to see log access/output.

CouchDBX Redux

Re: Mac OS X download.

Posted by Carlton Gibson <ca...@gmail.com>.
On 23 Apr 2012, at 20:53, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> Since building CouchDB hasn't changed, this should still work.

Okay, I will give it a try. (Thanks for the input.)

Re: Mac OS X download.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Apr 20, 2012, at 10:10 , Carlton Gibson wrote:

> With regards to building erlang+couchdb,  there is this note in an early version of the CouchDBX README:
>
> Get http://github.com/janl/couchdbx-core/ and compile it. Copy the resulting `couchdbx-core` folder into the top level dir of this project. Launch Xcode and build the app.
>
> The last commit here was 2 years ago, so I don't know if it's still useful — I will check it out later but if someone can get it building with the latest versions then that would be cool.

Since building CouchDB hasn't changed, this should still work.

Thanks for taking this on!

Cheers
Jan

Re: Mac OS X download.

Posted by Carlton Gibson <ca...@gmail.com>.
With regards to building erlang+couchdb,  there is this note in an early version of the CouchDBX README:

Get http://github.com/janl/couchdbx-core/ and compile it. Copy the resulting `couchdbx-core` folder into the top level dir of this project. Launch Xcode and build the app.

The last commit here was 2 years ago, so I don't know if it's still useful — I will check it out later but if someone can get it building with the latest versions then that would be cool.

C.

Re: Mac OS X download.

Posted by Dustin Sallings <du...@spy.net>.
On Apr 20, 2012, at 12:12 AM, Carlton Gibson wrote:

> I've checkout out the couchbase/couchdbx-app repo. (It's forked here https://github.com/carltongibson/couchdbx-app but there's nothing to see just yet.)
>
> * HEAD looks a little stale (not sure about that) and orientated towards couchbase server. — I've not downloaded couchbase server itself but it looks as if it doesn't embed the console output and web view (for Futon) that CouchDBX does/did.

	Check out the "single" branch.  I think that's closer to what you want.

> * However Jan's initial git commit looks exactly what I'm after — I'm going to step through the commits until I find the latest one that looks close and fork from that. I will then cherry-pick good changes from later. (The repo history is not particularly long so this shouldn't be too taxing.)

	I did a bunch of work on building a more appropriate UI (e.g. not a webkit view that couldn't pass tests, less in the way, etc...)

> Issues
> --------
> 1. I need erlang+couchdb "in a folder" that I can deploy in the application bundle. My plan (right now) is to use Dave's gist to install CouchDB via homebrew and get the app working with that. Once that's in place we just point the script which runs CouchDB to the bundled version. There are config scripts in the repo we can use/build-on to control getting CouchDB to write to the Application Support folder and such.

	The build process I had in place would download a pre-built, stripped down erlang distribution and embed that.

> I'm imagining including erlang+couchdb as a submodule (or whatever). If it's going to go quickly, I'll need help putting this together.
>
> 2. Packaging and Upgrades. There's stuff in the repo for putting together a disk image. Updates are handled via the Sparkle Framework. Both of these need working through but I suspect there's nothing too complicated per se. I've not implemented upgrades with Sparkle myself but I believe it uses some form of signature so there may be issues with a clean upgrade path for existing users (see below).

	I've had a  lot of success with it.

--
dustin sallings

Re: Mac OS X download.

Posted by Carlton Gibson <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dustin,

On 19 Apr 2012, at 22:43, Dustin Sallings <du...@spy.net> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2012, at 7:37 AM, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
>
>>> 1. It would be nice to resurrect CouchDBX — or build a replacement if that's not possible.
>>
>> This should be very doable using https://github.com/couchbase/couchdbx-app
>> [...]
>> The erlang / couch bits are well understood and will fall into place
>> quickly I think with some help.

> 	I can help with this as much as necessary.  I still use the thing and would love to see it live on.  I should also be able to help with upgrades from existing users if we want to keep that going.

Cool. :-)

>> Homebrew is good, I am struggling to get the recipe committed while we
>> sort out an underlying erlang/openssl issue. In the meantime follow my
>> gist https://gist.github.com/2147079

Summary thus far
-----------------------
I've checkout out the couchbase/couchdbx-app repo. (It's forked here https://github.com/carltongibson/couchdbx-app but there's nothing to see just yet.)

* HEAD looks a little stale (not sure about that) and orientated towards couchbase server. — I've not downloaded couchbase server itself but it looks as if it doesn't embed the console output and web view (for Futon) that CouchDBX does/did.
* However Jan's initial git commit looks exactly what I'm after — I'm going to step through the commits until I find the latest one that looks close and fork from that. I will then cherry-pick good changes from later. (The repo history is not particularly long so this shouldn't be too taxing.)
* There are no surprises in the Objective-C; I see no reason why we can't get CouchDBX going again.

Issues
--------
[...]

3. What's the status of the "CouchDBX" name and domain? Can we use it or do we need to re-name the app?

Of these, 1 is the one that I feel is most pressing. (So do feel free to solve it ;-)

Regards,

Carlton

Re: Mac OS X download.

Posted by Dustin Sallings <du...@spy.net>.
On Apr 19, 2012, at 7:37 AM, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:

>> 1. It would be nice to resurrect CouchDBX — or build a replacement if that's not possible.
>
> This should be very doable using https://github.com/couchbase/couchdbx-app
> If you're keen, I suggest you start off with getting this to work &
> then report back on issues, here or IRC for quick questions - both
> #couchdb and #couchdb-dev are good.
>
> The erlang / couch bits are well understood and will fall into place
> quickly I think with some help.

	I can help with this as much as necessary.  I still use the thing and would love to see it live on.  I should also be able to help with upgrades from existing users if we want to keep that going.

	I'm reachable by email most of the time.  I'm dsal on irc frequently, but not today (though I hang out in various odd channels and couchdb's aren't among them for whatever reason).

--
dustin sallings

Re: Mac OS X download.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 19 April 2012 15:37, Carlton Gibson <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> * I'm Carlton, I'm new here. :-)

Welcome!!

> * I'm a long-time user of CouchDBX but I see that's disappeared for the now.
> * I also see on http://couchdb.apache.org a "Coming soon? Why don’t you contribute one?" for the Mac OS X download link.
>
> I'm relatively new to Erlang — beginning to contribute to CouchDB is my way of making sure I get to know it properly — but my day job is in Objective-C.
>
> — I'd be very happy to be part of a group to fill in the blank.

Fantastic! We have a number of other interested parties (me
@davecottlehuber @daleharvey & some others) but I've got a couple of
other bits to finish up first, (including getting a bigger SSD to
store all my couch stuff.

> 1. It would be nice to resurrect CouchDBX — or build a replacement if that's not possible.

This should be very doable using https://github.com/couchbase/couchdbx-app
If you're keen, I suggest you start off with getting this to work &
then report back on issues, here or IRC for quick questions - both
#couchdb and #couchdb-dev are good.

The erlang / couch bits are well understood and will fall into place
quickly I think with some help.

> 2. For a vanilla command-line install, are people just using homebrew? — or, what's needed here? (Again I'm new, but keen.)

Homebrew is good, I am struggling to get the recipe committed while we
sort out an underlying erlang/openssl issue. In the meantime follow my
gist https://gist.github.com/2147079

> My hope in writing this mail is that there's someone who's thinking, I could do the Mac build but for {A,B...N}...

My lame excuses are lack of:

(a) disk space
(b) money, see (a)

A+