Posted to user@shale.apache.org by Jason Vincent <jt...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/29 19:30:15 UTC

JSF Validator on select menus only getting used once.

Hi all,

I have two pulldown select menus that are using the same validator.
when submitting the page, it appears that only the first select is
getting validated and the second isn't validated at all.  This was
confirmed by placing a breakpoint on the "validate" method of my
custom validator, called "selectOneMenuValueValidator".

The validator is checking that the selected value isn't the first item
in the list.

Is there something I need to reset once the validation passes on the first menu?

Thanks,
Jason

                <h:panelGrid columns="2" columnClasses="columnRight
optionLabel, columnLeft">
                    <h:outputText value="#{messages['merchantStatus.status']}"/>
                    <h:panelGroup>
                        <h:selectOneMenu id="status"
value="#{batchPartnerSetup$merchantStatus.selectedStatusId}">
                            <f:selectItems
value="#{batchPartnerSetup$merchantStatus.statusPulldown}"/>
                            <f:validator
validatorId="selectOneMenuValueValidator"/>
                        </h:selectOneMenu>
                        <h:message for="status"
errorClass="validationError" fatalClass="validationError"
                                   warnClass="validationError"
infoClass="validationError"/>
                    </h:panelGroup>
                    <h:outputText
value="#{messages['merchantStatus.statusComment']}"/>
                    <h:panelGroup>
                        <h:selectOneMenu id="comment"
value="#{batchPartnerSetup$merchantStatus.selectedStatusComment}">
                            <f:selectItems
value="#{batchPartnerSetup$merchantStatus.statusCommentPulldown}"/>
                            <f:validator
validatorId="selectOneMenuValueValidator"/>
                        </h:selectOneMenu>
                        <h:message for="comment"
errorClass="validationError" fatalClass="validationError"
                                   warnClass="validationError"
infoClass="validationError"/>
                    </h:panelGroup>
                </h:panelGrid>

Re: JSF Validator on select menus only getting used once.

Posted by Jason Vincent <jt...@gmail.com>.
It is pretty simple... here is the validator class...

public class SelectOneMenuValueValidator implements Validator {
    private static final Log LOGGER =
LogFactory.getLog(SelectOneMenuValueValidator.class);

    public void validate(FacesContext context, UIComponent component,
Object value) {
        LOGGER.debug("Validating select menu: " + component.getId() +
'=' + value);
        boolean isSelected = false;
        if (value instanceof Integer) {
            int selectedId = (Integer) value;

            if (selectedId >= 0) {
                isSelected = true;
            }
        } else if (value instanceof String) {
            isSelected = !"".equals(value);
        }

        if (!isSelected) {
            LocalizationService userLocalizationService =
FacesContextHelper.getUserLocalizationService(context);
            String errorMsgKey = "validator.invalidSelectOne";
            String msg =
userLocalizationService.getLocalizedMessage(errorMsgKey);
            String msgDetail =
userLocalizationService.getLocalizedMessage(errorMsgKey + "_detail");

            FacesMessage message = new
FacesMessage(FacesMessage.SEVERITY_ERROR, msg, msgDetail);
            throw new ValidatorException(message);
        }
    }
}

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 3/29/07, Jason Vincent <jt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if JSF is considering the -1 as a value that needs to be
> validated and a "" as something it doesn't.

On the html side, "" is equivalent to null.  So if there's no value,
then the validators don't run.

RE: JSF Validator on select menus only getting used once.

Posted by "Baker,Jonathan" <Ba...@oclc.org>.
That is exactly what happens.  The JSF code does a null check and a
.trim().size() check on the string that is submitted(everything is still
a string at this point) to determine if it should run the validations.

JB

Posted by Jason Vincent <jt...@gmail.com>.
just had an after thought...

Posted by "Baker,Jonathan" <Ba...@oclc.org>.
Making the field required would ensure that "" could not be submitted.

JB

Posted by Jason Vincent <jt...@gmail.com>.
ohh dang.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.