Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com> on 2007/10/23 05:17:22 UTC

MRM-549 & MRM-547 : Proxy Connector Policy settings.

There seems to be some confusion on the settings, defaults values,
meanings, purpose, etc...

 http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRM-549
 * MRM-549 : proxy connectors: no "always" option for releases and
snapshots policies

 http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRM-547
 * MRM-547 : proxy connectors: cache failures options are confusing

 http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Archiva+Proxy+Policies

I'd like to hear from you about what is bad about the current settings?

What is good about the current settings?

Some options on how to correct this?
  (my 2 bits)
  1) Create a sidebar on the proxy connector screen detailing the
meaning of the policy settings.
  2) Change the policy setting values to make more sense to the largest
body of individuals.

I'd like to get these closed out, it'll be a simple fix, but the
decision needs discussion first.

--
- Joakim Erdfelt
  joakim@erdfelt.com

Re: MRM-549 & MRM-547 : Proxy Connector Policy settings.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
yep, just under checksums I'd append "if they were previously
incorrect" to the description for FIX and "on downloaded resources"
to IGNORE.

Thanks,
Brett

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org

Re: MRM-549 & MRM-547 : Proxy Connector Policy settings.

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 01/11/2007, at 11:23 AM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:

> Making no common ground between the options is also confusing.

why? they are not common behaviour! Two of them are in the context of
time, one a choice based on correctness, and the other a boolean
behaviour.

> There needs to be a common "DO NOT USE" or "IGNORED" option.

In the code, but not when you are trying to explain what it does.

If you really wanted to treat these this way in the UI, the only
acceptable way I would represent it is as an enable/disable checkbox
separate to the list of choices so the contexts don't get mixed. But
I don't think it's necessary given the options below where you can
translate it from English into that option.

> But I can release that opinion in favor of a clear and defined set
> of values.
> So far, all I'm getting is handwaving, big picture stuff, not a
> defined, concrete, list to work off of.

I gave you all my answers, but let me paste it in your format to be
crystal clear.

> Releases (how often to check for)
>  (old)  IGNORED, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, DISABLED
>  (proposed) ALWAYS, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, NEVER
> Snapshots (for often to check for)
      AS ABOVE
> Cache-Failures
>  (old)  IGNORED, CACHED
>  (new) NO, YES
> Checksum
>  (old)  IGNORED, FIX, FAIL
>  (new) IGNORE, FIX, FAIL

Ok?

- Brett

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> On 01/11/2007, at 10:01 AM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
>
>> IGNORED is a universal setting that means ... "This policy is ignored."
>> It can be applied to any policy.
>>
>> Changing IGNORED to ALWAYS is makes no sense for the other policies.
>
> I wasn't suggesting this for anything but release and snapshots (it
> was an eg, not an ie). For cache: it's a yes/no answer, and for
> checksum ignore is valid.
>
>> What about using SKIP in place of IGNORED?
>> What about using REJECT in place of DISABLED?
>
> I'm still confused what that really means.
>
> In the first set, to me, SKIP means "don't ever check for updates",
> since the context is when to check for updates, right? But I think
> you're saying it means "skip the check about whether to check for
> updates and check for updates anyway".
>
> If the question to be asked is "how often should Archiva check for
> updates"? SKIP, DISABLED, IGNORED, REJECT are not valid answers in the
> context of what happens. ALWAYS and NEVER would be.
>
> Or am I asking the wrong question? If so, what is a question you can
> ask and have each option as an answer for that matches the current
> behaviour?
>
> Likewise:
>
> * Should I cache failures? YES or NO. Or it could be "What should I do
> when I encounter a failure?" CACHE or DON'T CACHE. But
> IGNORED/SKIP/DISABLED/REJECT don't make sense in this context (at
> least with the given behaviour)
>
> * What should I do when a checksum is invalid? IGNORE, FIX or FAIL.
>
> Make sense?
No.

Making no common ground between the options is also confusing.
There needs to be a common "DO NOT USE" or "IGNORED" option.
But I can release that opinion in favor of a clear and defined set of
values.
So far, all I'm getting is handwaving, big picture stuff, not a defined,
concrete, list to work off of.
As I intepret your last comments, I see the list now as the following ...

Releases
  (old)  IGNORED, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, DISABLED
  (proposed) SKIP, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, REJECT
Snapshots
  (old)  IGNORED, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, DISABLED
  (new) SKIP, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, REJECT
Cache-Failures
  (old)  IGNORED, CACHED
  (new) NO, YES
Checksum
  (old)  IGNORED, FIX, FAIL
  (new) SKIP, FIX, FAIL

Any more changes?

- Joakim

Re: MRM-549 & MRM-547 : Proxy Connector Policy settings.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
IGNORED is a universal setting that means ... "This policy is ignored."
It can be applied to any policy.

Changing IGNORED to ALWAYS is makes no sense for the other policies.

Releases
   (old)  IGNORED, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, DISABLED
   (new) ALWAYS, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, DISABLED
Snapshots
   (old)  IGNORED, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, DISABLED
   (new) ALWAYS, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, DISABLED
Cache-Failures
   (old)  IGNORED, CACHED
   (new) ALWAYS, CACHED
Checksum
   (old)  IGNORED, FIX, FAIL
   (new) ALWAYS, FIX, FAIL

Using the logic that we should use wording that applies the artifact,
(which itself is misleading, as these affect metadata too), then the
DISABLED option should be changed too.

I have a feeling that we are confusing the meanings of IGNORED and DISABLED.

What about using SKIP in place of IGNORED?
What about using REJECT in place of DISABLED?

So it would become ....

Releases
   (old)  IGNORED, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, DISABLED
   (proposed) SKIP, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, REJECT
Snapshots
   (old)  IGNORED, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, DISABLED
   (new) SKIP, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, REJECT
Cache-Failures
   (old)  IGNORED, CACHED
   (new) SKIP, CACHED