Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2019/09/04 21:01:09 UTC

Git protection for uima-uimaj

On the asf infra slack channel, I asked about protection for uima-uimaj
branches, what was set, how to see, etc.

The answer was:

>>>right now, nothing, which is actually an oversight on my part. i need to go protect
the master branch.
>>>protect = refs/heads/trunk refs/heads/master refs/heads/rel/ refs/tags/rel/

>>>that is the default protection

Protection appears to be a property of GitHub, not of "git" itself (the ProGit
book has no hits for this kind of protection).

I cannot find  this syntax anywhere.  Does anyone know what this refers to?

Also, when branches are "protected" in github, you have to additionally specify
the kinds of protection.  Does anyone know what these are?  I feel like I'm
missing some significant documentation ...

Cheers. -Marshall

Re: Git protection for uima-uimaj

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
yes, thanks, I did that (set up a repo under my own account, to have a look).

From looking at the kind of display the gitbox.a.o website has, it looks like it
might

be using the built-in-to-git GitWeb.

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-on-the-Server-GitWeb

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 4. Sep 2019, at 23:01, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:

> On the asf infra slack channel, I asked about protection for uima-uimaj
> branches, what was set, how to see, etc.
>
> The answer was:

> the master branch.
>
> Protection appears to be a property of GitHub, not of "git" itself (the ProGit
> book has no hits for this kind of protection).

I believe "protection" is a capability of the specific git server (repo software)
being used. I don't know how it is normally (i.e. in the "native" git server)
implemented, but I would suspect through commit hooks.

GitHub has protection capabilities which go beyond what a simple commit hook could
provide. In particular the ability to enforce that quality checks have successfully
completed before a branch (PR) can be merged. This can be used to enforce that e.g.
a Jenkins build on the PR commit has successfully completed before it is allowed to
be merged into master.

> Also, when branches are "protected" in github, you have to additionally specify
> the kinds of protection.  Does anyone know what these are?  I feel like I'm
> missing some significant documentation ...

I have attached a screenshot of the protection settings of the master branch of
INCEpTION (a project I am working on). "UKP OSS Jenkins" is the CI system we use
and "Licence compliance" uses fossa.io. The rest is probably self-explanatory

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I see in the GitHub docs that just turning on protection for a branch does (at a
minimum):
disables forced pushes, and prevents branches from being deleted.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I asked on infra list, if the protections were the same for both GitHub and
gitbox.a.o, and the answer was "yes".