Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2005/06/17 08:25:40 UTC

Re: bugfix or enhancement? losing scheduler jobs after paste, rename url

Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 16:05 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>>simon litwan wrote:
>>
>>>hi list
>>>
>>>i'm working on a customers request about losing jobs after paste/rename
>>>url. they wish the scheduled jobs should move with document. but they
>>>also would be satisfied with a warning on the paste/rename screen that
>>>the jobs will get lost.
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>That's a good example for a problem caused by mixing concerns -
>>document storage and site structure. If they were separated, the
>>problem would not occur. I suggest that we reconsider storing documents
>>in a non-structured way and implement site structures as views on the
>>document repository.
>>

> Like I understand the problem: simon wants to move the documents and it
> would be best that the associated jobs as well would be moved, right?

> When linking the docs in jobs.xml with input modules then that is
> possible.

The key is - as Michi pointed out - a facility to map unique, constant
IDs to documents. Unless we have that, we'd have to add a job-moving
functionality to the scheduler, which is IMO overkill. Re-writing the
URLs in jobs.xml directly violates the job store encapsulation.
I'm -1 to change the current behaviour in 1.2 (unless someone wants to
extend the scheduler), maybe we can add a message like

   "Please check the subtree for scheduled jobs as they will get
    lost after moving."

-- Andreas