Posted to jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org by Michael Toback <Mi...@chordiant.com> on 2007/08/31 01:02:40 UTC

Replication fails on modified objects

Michael I Toback
Principal Engineer
Orchestrating Business Processes
Chordiant Software
Cupertino, Ca 95014
(408)-517-6165

We are encountering a strange error with JCS. We have a workaround, but
still are puzzled by it.

We have a lateral cache with two instances. Sometimes when we modified
an object it gets propagated to the other caches, sometimes not.

Here is the scenario, using the above simple object:

1)       Put the Object in the cache with a key of "hello", and inside
the object have test string "I'm here"

2)       See the object get replicated to the other cache

3)       Get the object back from the cache and change the "testStr" in
it to "bye bye"

4)       Re-Put that object into the cache with the same Key

5)       The change to that object does not get replicated. Therefore,
the other server instance of the cache still has the older object
containing "I'm here"

Now modify step 3 by creating a new object and do a shallow clone of the
original object, and in step 4 put the new object in the cache instead.

Our engineering staff speculates that JCS uses "==" instead of ".equals"
to determine if the put changes the object.

Comments?

Michael
The information transmitted herewith is sensitive      information of Chordiant Software or its customers and is intended only for use to the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.