Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Tim Garrett <tg...@saepio.com> on 2008/05/27 19:25:22 UTC

Re: Release schedule

I was looking through the developer mailing list archives, and I have
been very excited to hear about the new developments in Jetspeed 2.2,
specifically in the area of restartability.  I also noticed a message
from early February in which David Sean Taylor referenced an anticipated
release of 2.2 in late March.  Do you have any updated projections on
that release date?  I certainly understand the inherent flexibility in
software delivery dates, and I am only looking for a ballpark as it may
affect some of the design decisions I take in building my custom portal.

I have enjoyed working with Jetspeed, and I certainly appreciate your
time.  Thanks for the great software.

Thanks,
Tim

P.S. As an aside, my company is just starting to work with Jetspeed, and
I hope I will be able to become more involved as a contributing part of
the community in the future.

Tim Garrett
Software Engineer
Saepio Technologies
tgarrett@saepio.com
816.777.2158

Re: Release schedule

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the kind words and the appreciation!

As you know, we won't be able to give a definite schedule for the 2.2 release, and I know all the active commiters
currently are very much occupied and under tight schedule with client specific jetspeed projects of their own.

However, some of us expect to be able to get back to core Jetspeed (and Pluto) development within 2 weeks and our
intention is still to get a 2.2 release out this summer.

High priority features on our list which we'll be concentrating on the most are:
- refactoring /replacing the preferences implementation with a *much* easier and better performing solution
- much improved LDAP security model and mapping like user/role/group attributes retrieval through LDAP
- continue and complete the Pluto 2.0 core refactoring so it can be used for Jetspeed 2.2
- further expand and improve the maven-2 plugin and custom build configuration options

And there are some other features and improvements we'd like to throw in too, time permitted, but the above list
definitely is a must for the 2.2 release in my view.

Of course, this is a major effort and community support and backing (like review, testing, patches, contributions etc.)
definitely is very important to us, so any help you and others can provide will be very welcome!

Regards,

Ate