Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Lan <du...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/19 01:13:36 UTC

SolrJ 3.4 Client compatible with Solr 4.6 Server?

I'm in the process of updating from Solr 3.4 to Solr 4.6.  Is the SolrJ 3.4
Client  forward compatible with Solr 4.6?

This isn't mentioned in the documentation
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/javabin page.

In a test environment, I did some indexing and querying  with a SolrJ3.4
Client and a Solr4.6 server and there were no errors. I'm using the javabin
format for updates and sharded queries.

Re: SolrJ 3.4 Client compatible with Solr 4.6 Server?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 2/18/2014 5:13 PM, Lan wrote:
> I'm in the process of updating from Solr 3.4 to Solr 4.6.  Is the SolrJ 3.4
> Client  forward compatible with Solr 4.6?
>
> This isn't mentioned in the documentation
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/javabin page.
>
> In a test environment, I did some indexing and querying  with a SolrJ3.4
> Client and a Solr4.6 server and there were no errors. I'm using the javabin
> format for updates and sharded queries.

Almost everything you can do with the 3.x client will work without
problems.  If you're trying to do something unusual, you might have some
trouble.  Technically we don't recommend mixing versions, but I was
running mixed versions for a number of months without problems.

You mentioned javabin -- both versions of SolrJ utilize javabin for
switching to BinaryRequestWriter until after you upgrade SolrJ, because
the 3.x client will try to use a different URL path for binary update
requests, one that is not compatible with a typical 4.x configuration.

Are you in a position where you can make quick changes to the code and
recompile?  If you are, I can definitely help you work through any
problems.  I can't make promises about others, but I'm sure I'm not the
only one willing to help.

There are a fair number of jarfile changes required to upgrade SolrJ,
but the number of required code changes is usually small.  Upgrading
SolrJ should be fairly high on your priority list, especially if you
plan to utilize SolrCloud.

Thanks,
Shawn