Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Perry E. Metzger" <pe...@piermont.com> on 2004/07/13 21:00:02 UTC

possible bug with import and line endings...

I was attempting to do an svn import earlier, which was silently
failing -- halfway through it would print

Adding  foo
Adding  bar

and then a couple of carriage returns would appear and the prompt
showed up. Repeating the process produced identical results.

It turned out that the issue was my config file specified that "bar"
should be eol-style native and the file had a mixture of crlf and lf
lines. Once I fixed that file, the import went as normal.

This would appear to be a bug -- at the very least, a descriptive
message would be good.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com

Re: possible bug with import and line endings...

Posted by McClain Looney <m...@loonsoft.com>.
On Wednesday 14 July 2004 03:23 pm, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> y setup is 1.0.5 on the client and server, with the server running on
> linux and the client running on windows.
>
> I can reproduce the problem at will. Are you sure you had a properly
> mixed line ending file, you config was properly set up and you were
> doing an import (NOT an add!)?

yep, i even tried to svn add the file, which died with the appropriate message
to verify ahead of time that i was doing it right.

it was definitely an import.  i also tried ra_dav and ra_file access, with the
same results (i believe it's the client seeing the inconsistency, so server
doesn't matter).

--
McClain Looney
LoonSoft LLC

Re: possible bug with import and line endings...

Posted by "Perry E. Metzger" <pe...@piermont.com>.
McClain Looney <m...@loonsoft.com> writes:
> On Tuesday 13 July 2004 04:00 pm, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> It turned out that the issue was my config file specified that "bar"
>> should be eol-style native and the file had a mixture of crlf and lf
>> lines. Once I fixed that file, the import went as normal.
>
> I just tried to reproduce this on svn 1.0.5/win2k/svnserve, and the client
> failed properly (with a nice message).

My setup is 1.0.5 on the client and server, with the server running on
linux and the client running on windows.

I can reproduce the problem at will. Are you sure you had a properly
mixed line ending file, you config was properly set up and you were
doing an import (NOT an add!)?

Perry

Re: possible bug with import and line endings...

Posted by McClain Looney <m...@loonsoft.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 16:00, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I was attempting to do an svn import earlier, which was silently
> failing -- halfway through it would print
>
> Adding  foo
> Adding  bar
>
> and then a couple of carriage returns would appear and the prompt
> showed up. Repeating the process produced identical results.
>
> It turned out that the issue was my config file specified that "bar"
> should be eol-style native and the file had a mixture of crlf and lf
> lines. Once I fixed that file, the import went as normal.
>
> This would appear to be a bug -- at the very least, a descriptive
> message would be good.

Note that he's committing with a 1.0.x client on win32 to svn://.  I've
not tried to verify this problem yet, somebody else should.  :-)