Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jérôme Etévé <je...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/15 12:07:38 UTC

Best strategy to commit often under load.

Hi all,

 I've got a solr server under significant load ( ~40/s ) and a single
process which can potentially commit as often as possible.
Typically, when it commits every 5 or 10s, my solr server slows down
quite a lot and this can lead to congestion problems on my client
side.

What would you recommend in this situation, is it better to leave solr
performs the commits automatically with reasonable autocommit
parameters?

What are solr's best practices concerning this point?

Thanks for your help!

Jerome.

--
Jerome Eteve.
http://www.eteve.net

Re: Best strategy to commit often under load.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Yes, the Solr autoCommit feature is the right tool for this task. It
lets the indexing app be simple. In some earlier Solr releases, the
"number of documents" feature did not work, so you had to use the
"number of milliseconds" feature.

Note that each commit causes Solr to forget all cached data about the
index. So, you should turn off autowarming in the indexing instance.

Also, you don't need to commit very often. All data indexed is saved
before the commit. There are sites that index millions of records and
then do one commit.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Best strategy to commit often under load.

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jerome,