Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com> on 2005/11/04 17:23:32 UTC

component-based navigation

Okay, I want to create a navigation component that is used to create the
main navigation on the site. I need each navigation item to be able to
optionally contain other navigation items. If it is selected and
contains others it expands to show them. Has anyone create something
like this or have advice on how to design it? I'm having some real
trouble with this in that a @NavItem can't know about it's child
@NavItems because the children are rendered after the parent. Any ideas
would be greatly appreciated.

--
Dan Adams
Software Engineer

Re: component-based navigation

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
We have just such a component over at tacos.
http://tacos.sourceforge.net/hivemind/SiteMap.html

This is a very simple example of using it, but it's capable of much more.
(Can also handle security constraints if you use them. )

http://tacos.mine.nu/tacos-demo4/app

The navigation for everything in the above referenced url uses this
service/component.

jesse

Posted by Ron Piterman <rp...@gmx.net>.
I wouldn't do it using single menu-item components but one menu
component with a tree-like model.
This can render <ul> for each node with children.
Each child should be able to determine if it is selected, and the parent
can query its children to know if it is selected.
Some thing just like the Tacos Tree, but with another select path model...
hope that helps,
Ron

����� Dan Adams: