Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Giovanni Santini <gi...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/24 15:18:32 UTC

Fwd: RequestProcessor, cache control, IE bug

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
FYI, I solved this with a filter.  Pretty simple... I intend to load the
paths from a config file, but for now this is fine.  If you want to use
it, just remove the nocache setting from struts-config and configure this
filter in web.xml:

package com.company.app.filters;

import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.Iterator;
import javax.servlet.Filter;
import javax.servlet.FilterChain;
import javax.servlet.FilterConfig;
import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import javax.servlet.ServletRequest;
import javax.servlet.ServletResponse;

/**
 * This filter more or less mimics the cachecontrol Struts RP setting, but
 * allows you to set paths that cache headers will NOT be set for.
 *
 * @author <a href="mailto:fzammetti@omnytex.com">Frank W. Zammetti</a>
 */
public class CacheControlFilter implements Filter {

  /**
   * List of paths to *NOT* set cache headers on.
   */
  private ArrayList noCachePaths =  new ArrayList();

  /**
   * Destroy.
   */
  public void destroy() { } // End destroy.

  /**
   * Populate the list of paths that cache headers will NOT be set for.
   *
   * @param  filterConfig     The configuration information for this filter.
   * @throws ServletException ServletException.
   */
  public void init(FilterConfig filterConfig) throws ServletException {
    noCachePaths.add("/app/path1.do");
    noCachePaths.add("/app/path2.do");
    noCachePaths.add("/app/path3.do");
  } // End init().

  /**
   * Set the cache headers to response, where applicable.
   *
   * @param  request          The current request object.
   * @param  response         The current response object.
   * @param  filterChain      The current filter chain.
   * @throws ServletException ServletException.
   * @throws IOException      IOException.
   */
  public void doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response,
                       FilterChain filterChain)
                       throws ServletException, IOException {
    String path = ((HttpServletRequest)request).getServletPath();
    for (Iterator it = noCachePaths.iterator(); it.hasNext();) {
      String noCachePath = (String)it.next();
      if (!path.equalsIgnoreCase(noCachePath)) {
        ((HttpServletResponse)response).setHeader("Pragma", "No-cache");
        ((HttpServletResponse)response).setHeader("Cache-Control",
                                        "no-cache,no-store,max-age=0");
        ((HttpServletResponse)response).setDateHeader("Expires", 1);
      }
    }
    filterChain.doFilter(request, response);
  } // End doFilter().

} // End CacheControlFilter class.

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect