Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Ted Dunning <td...@apache.org> on 2016/10/27 17:49:27 UTC

JSON license again

I know that this has been brought up, but I think that we have
institutionalized an erroneous decision. That decision is that the json.org
license is a Category A license.

The json.org version of the BSD license is problematic because it imposes
constraints on the downstream consumer by including a constraint on field
of endeavor that the software "not be used for evil". Debian and Google,
for instance, won't consume anything with this license:

https://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/jsonevil
https://www.cnet.com/news/dont-be-evil-google-spurns-no-evil-software/

Apache has codified a policy that is apparently based on a determination
that the no-evil clause was "clearly a joke".

https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#json
https://s.apache.org/json-license-ok

At work, we now have more than one customer whose legal team has decided
not to get the joke. I will be filing patches to remove those dependencies
from Hive and HCatalog, but the point remains that the json.org license
isn't acceptable to those customers.

To me, all of this clearly shows that the json license is substantially
hindering downstream adoption due to a perception by those downstream
consumers that you can't put a joke into a license. I, frankly, agree with
those folks. Not doing evil is a good thing and I try to do that myself,
but having to get a legal opinion that everything I do is not evil would
make it impossible to get anything done.

I think that this license should be moved to category X due to the non-free
nature of the license. There is a clean-room reimplementation of the core
part of the library available from the Android team
<https://developer.android.com/reference/org/json/package-summary.html> so
removing the dependency. Using Jackson or Gson instead is another fine
approach.

A quick look at maven central indicates that at least the following Apache
projects are affected

Tika
Hive
Wink
possibly Asterixdb (because hyracks had this dependency)
Shindig
Spark (transitive from Hive)
Giraph
Rave
Felix
Tuscany
Tinkerpop

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 2:32 AM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>
wrote:

> But do we have a decision now ? And thus update the resolved page ?

I think we have consensus, but we haven't really formally recorded that
consensus.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi

Reaching out is great and good. I already have kicked discussions with Felix and Sling.

But do we have a decision now ? And thus update the resolved page ?

For now the JSON license is an explicit exception outside of the normal A, B, X lists.

Thanks
Felix

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Looks like there is probably a larger number of projects than expected
> that do currently use code under that license [2].
>
> Should someone reach out to those projects? Incubating projects for
> instance may be unaware of this change in policy.

Yes. We need to reach out.

I plan to reach out to the Hive community with a patch.

I will report other outreach as I get to it. Right now I am on a heinous
trip and have little time.

Re: JSON license again

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1000.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

I just pulled down the latest version of the android org.json package and
spent some time building a pom, updating all of the tests to junit 4
stylistics and resolving all of the warnings in IDEA.

I will be putting out a release as soon as I can (which will be a bit
slow). As soon as I get time after that, I will be putting up a patch for a
few of the projects that can use this new package. I am pretty sure that
Hive and a few others, for instance, can adapt with just a change to the
pom.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 1:53 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>
wrote:

> I assume it would be easy to create a pom which strips it down to just
> the json package.

It definitely would be.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote
> Is the Android version available from Maven?

Someone mentioned "org.robolectric:android-all" containing that stuff,
but unfortunately with *a lot* of other stuff.
I assume it would be easy to create a pom which strips it down to just
the json package.

Carsten

> I suspect most of our uses could be fixed via pom.xml updates to point
> to a new dependency.
>
> Hen
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 6:50 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bdelacretaz@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 8:38 PM, John D. Ament
>     <johndament@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>     > ...the ASF should treat this as a Cat X license
>     > unless we can petition the makes of json.org <http://json.org> to relicense in a traditional
>     > BSD license....
>
>     As a sidenote, https://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/jsonevil
>     <https://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/jsonevil> has
>     information about alternatives, and links to a petition which
>     apparently only has 35 supporters so far.
>
>     -Bertrand

Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Wheeler, David A <dw...@ida.org> wrote:
>... I think many more people care than this petition would indicate...

My last successful petition [1] was a blogpost + twitter hash tag,
that might be a more efficient way of hearing those voices.

-Bertrand

[1] https://grep.codeconsult.ch/2010/07/21/dear-oracle-can-we-have-our-nice-javadoc-urls-back/

RE: JSON license again

Posted by "Wheeler, David A" <dw...@ida.org>.
FWIW, I agree with Daniel Shahaf:
> The controversy isn't about ethics, it's about law.
> Someone could sue you alleging that your actions were evil, even if in your eyes they were not evil.

I completely agree.  What is evil to one is not evil to another.

Ambiguous text like this is unacceptable in a license.

Bertrand Delacretaz:
> As a sidenote, https://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/jsonevil has information
> about alternatives, and links to a petition which apparently only has 35
> supporters so far.

That petition is closed, and I suspect most people who would have signed it never heard of it.

I think many more people care than this petition would indicate.

--- David A. Wheeler

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
Done.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
This change in policy made the news!

 "7 notable legal developments in open source in 2016"

https://opensource.com/article/17/1/yearbook-7-notable-legal-developments-2016

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Yep.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Does that read „it is CatX“ ?

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>
wrote:

> Konstantin Boudnik wrote on Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 03:03:27 -0700:
> > 'no-evil' isn't a joke, really. It is an ethical principle first and
> > foremost. I guess I am missing why this is considered to be
> > a 'constraint' especially by open minded open-source developers.
>
> The controversy isn't about ethics, it's about law.  Someone could sue
> you alleging that your actions were evil, even if in your eyes they were
> not evil.

OR even worse, your own corporate lawyers could ask you for an ISO-9001
process with ISO-12207 certification for guaranteeing that your processes
do no evil and documenting all of your no-evil maintenance processes.

You would then point out that such absurd requirements are themselves evil.

Which would mean that you have already breached the license before even
using the software.

(and yes, this is a joke, but no, it isn't fiction)

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
If ASF considers 'no-evil' clause to be legally acceptable, I don't see any
reason to make the recommendation to the projects to abstain from the use of
JSON licenced libraries. 'no-evil' isn't a joke, really. It is an ethical
principle first and foremost. I guess I am missing why this is considered to
be a 'constraint' especially by open minded open-source developers. But IANAL
of course. Well, this

http://dev.hasenj.org/post/3272592502/ibm-and-its-minions

says it better than I ever would ;)

Just my $0.02
  Cos

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
+1 for taking the no-evil serious. It’s a bad joke, if any…

Side note: there is an inhouse project called Apache Johnzon which is a Java JSON-P implementation and around 100kB in size.

LieGrue,
strub

Re: JSON license again

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
+1 to moving it out of Category A.

The point isn't evil or lack thereof, the point is that it places
additional restrictions beyond the Apache license on downstream
redistributors that are affecting some of our users.  Given that it
seems there are ample reasonably equivalent and nicely licensed
alternatives, I agree with Ted on this one.

http://johnzon.apache.org/

- Shane