Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/06 21:10:37 UTC

MXRoyale question - styleName

This question is mainly for Alex or anyone else involved in porting an
MXRoyale application.

When porting styleName='myStyleName' what is considered the best approach?

I would have assumed that styleName could simply be added to the underlying
element's classList if it is a string, so it (I assume) would correspond
closely to how it was used in the original Flex app. But I know styleName
is not always a string in Flex, but in my experience that seems to be the
most frequent case, which relates to a named declaration in the stylesheet.

Alex, and others, what are your thoughts? I am dealing with a large
codebase and would like to use a consistent approach from the outset.

At the moment we have;

set styleName(value:Object /* String, CSSStyleDeclaration, or UIComponent
*/):void
  // TODO
        trace("styleName not implemented");

if it is a string, then I assume it could be considered as a
custom/arbitrary css class, similar to how I remember it working in Flex.

UIComponent seems more problematic I assume, but I have not thought too
deeply about it.

Anyway I would welcome thoughts. I guess one simple option is simply to
change it to className when porting if it is a string. But for MXRoyale I
wondered if this should work (if it can) without changes....

Re: MXRoyale question - styleName

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
In my experience element.classList is a must and a need in modern
development, it was very cumbersome when don't have it. I could solve
adding support in StyledUIBase and redoing most of hierarchies in Jewel to
get that class as the base, but was cause of many time and headaches. If
you don't have it at MXRoyale level my advice is to add it. Or as you want
some serious styling support you will need it for sure.

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: MXRoyale question - styleName

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
org.apache.royale.utils.ClassSelectorList looks like it may someday be a platform abstraction so I don't see any reason to use it for js-only code.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

On 5/7/20, 12:44 PM, "Greg Dove" <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Back to original topic:

    I plan to work on that change at my EOD today. I was thinking to implement
    this directly using native element.classList.add/element.classList.remove
    for the string assignments (and adjust the trace warning for other types)

    I also see org.apache.royale.utils.ClassSelectorList. Can you think of a

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
Back to original topic:

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Most components work for the scenarios we've seen.   So if we've only seen GridRow used with a height set, it is not surprising it doesn't work without height set.  We reused a fair amount of code from Flex, but laying out elements is often different.

ADG has a working alternatingRowColors so hopefully you can move that down into DataGrid.

It's interesting that in the same month as someone wants modules to work in IE11 we also want to get rid of IE11 support.  Not sure what the right thing to do is.  I think we'd have to rewrite XML to use ES6 Proxy if we go that route since that's the other main runtime property access problem scenario.  Not sure if there are others.

-Alex

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Assuming you meant add/remove from classList as you proposed in the first post, then I think the answer is yes.  I think that's simple enough to emulate and will work most of the time.  I think you have to use classList instead of className because there will be other things in the classList.

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.