Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Joshua Fox <jo...@freightos.com> on 2018/08/02 10:48:52 UTC

Double copy of XML in POMs

I got a lot of these error messages using Maven 3.5 on Windows 10.

*The POM for… jar…  is invalid, transitive dependencies (if any) will not
be available, enable debug logging for more details*

It turns out that the POM files consisted  of a *double copy *of the XML!
See the attached example.

I removed ~/.m2/ and rebuilt, and the POMs were  OK.

Is this a known issue? It is very strange to see XML appearing twice.

Re: Double copy of XML in POMs

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-08-02 um 12:48 schrieb Joshua Fox:
> I got a lot of these error messages using Maven 3.5 on Windows 10.
>
> *The POM for… jar…  is invalid, transitive dependencies (if any) will not
> be available, enable debug logging for more details*
>

> It turns out that the POM files consisted  of a *double copy *of the XML!
> See the attached example.
>
> I removed ~/.m2/ and rebuilt, and the POMs were  OK.
>
> Is this a known issue? It is very strange to see XML appearing twice.

Hard to tell if we cannot reproduce this. It also could be a Modello
issue. Have you checked open ones with MNG in JIRA?

Michael

Re: Double copy of XML in POMs

Posted by Joshua Fox <jo...@freightos.com>.
I'll ask my team to report to me if anyone sees it.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:41 PM Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> If you ever have some ideas about how this could happen, we're really
> curious about those details to be able to reproduce it.
>
> thanks,
> Robert
>
> On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 09:56:00 +0200, Joshua Fox <jo...@freightos.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thank you! Good to know that is is being handled. (It is not a blocker
> > since we deleted the repository and forced a new download.)
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:07 AM Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, this is a known issue, see  MNG-6281[1] Up until Maven 3.3.9 this
> >> was
> >> never an issue, until we fixed  MNG-6020[2]. Before that Maven stopped
> >> reading after the closing root-tag.
> >> It is very hard to reproduce. One of the possibilities I have in mind is
> >> that the same pom is required twice (either by 2 Maven executions or as
> >> part of the reactor) and that the files are appended.
> >> I still think  MNG-6020 is a good fix: the file must contain valid
> XML.
> >> So
> >> I'd love to see an explanation for this weird behavior and fix it.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> Robert
> >>
> >> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6281
> >> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6020
> >>
> >> On Thu, 02 Aug 2018 12:48:52 +0200, Joshua Fox <jo...@freightos.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> I got a lot of these error messages using Maven 3.5 on Windows 10.
> >>
> >> *The POM for… jar…  is invalid, transitive dependencies (if any) will
> >> not
> >> be available, enable debug logging for more details*
> >>

> >> It turns out that the POM files consisted  of a *double copy *of the
> >> XML!
> >> See the attached example.
> >>
> >> I removed ~/.m2/ and rebuilt, and the POMs were  OK.
> >>
> >> Is this a known issue? It is very strange to see XML appearing twice.

*JOSHUA FOX*
Director, Software Architecture | Freightos

*T (Israel): *+972-545691165 | *T (US)*:  +1-3123400953
Smooth shipping.

Re: Double copy of XML in POMs

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: Double copy of XML in POMs