Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Nik Trevallyn-Jones <ni...@babel.homelinux.net> on 2009/05/01 11:48:37 UTC

How to Tag Sccs with ivy.new.version?

Hi All,

With a little help from people here I've got my smaller and dependent
projects building well, and all is good. Thank you all for this software
and your help! :o)

So I went to add an extra task to the publish target in my global Ant
file, to tag the sccs with the newly generated published version number.

The first problem is that ivy.new.version is an ivy-only property, and
so I can't see it from my Ant task.

1. There seems to be no generic way to promote an Ivy property to being
an Ant property.
In some cases I've already worked around this by defining the Ant
property first and then defining the Ivy property from that.

For example my task that deletes artifacts published to my local
repository. Again, Ivy provides no way (that I've found) to do this
directly, and so I need to somehow share the path information reliably
between Ivy and Ant.

However I can't do this in this case, because the value is *generated*
by ivy (ivy:buildnumber").

2. There are a few tasks in Ivy that *do* promote selected Ivy
properties to Ant properties, but these are all in the resolve workflow
(eg artifactproperty), and none in the publish workflow (please tell me
if I've missed something here).

Q1: Can anyone suggest a way to make the resolved ivy.new.version
available to an Ant task? I've even looked at writing the value to file
and reading it from within Ant, but I can't see any easy way of doing
this (I consider parsing the XML ivy files in Ant to be hard).

Q2: Has anyone considered adding a task to ivy that will promote *any*
selected ivy property(ies) to Ant property(ies)?

Cheers!
Nik