Posted to dev@beehive.apache.org by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> on 2004/10/29 05:38:10 UTC

Introduction and Control Brainstorm

Hi all,
I was asked to give a quick intro about me and what I'm doing with
beehive, so here it goes.

I'm a java developer (obviously) and have been programming for as long
as I can remember. In recent history, I've been working on Plexus
(http://plexus.codehaus.org) a component container with a bunch of
support components and XFire (http://xfire.codehaus.org), which is a
Java SOAP stack.

I will be working on putting some controls together which will go over
at controlhaus.org.  These will compromise a SOAP client, Hibernate
control and Amazon control.  I wanted to get some of your opinions on
how these controls would look.  Since I am new to controls and you all
have developed them for a long time, I figure you'll have a lot of
wisdom to share :-).

So how do you envision these controls fitting into Beehive? I have some
thoughts already, but would definitely love input/advice.

For the hibernate control I was thinking that annotations could provide
an easy way to specify save/update/deletes like the SQL control does.
I'd also like to get transaction support in there.  I know spring does
some really cool stuff with Hibernate and managing transactions
automatically [1]. I'd also like to make it easy for users to test their
hibernate code by plugging in HSQL [2].  I've found that this works
great with my projects.

Also there is the SOAP client. There's already an XMLBeans module for
XFire which contains a stub generator to generate clients from WSDL
[3].  Still needs some polishing and there are some bugs in
StAX/XMLBeans yet which need to be fixed, but its on its way.  Any novel
thoughts on integrating this into the controls framework?

Finally, thanks for the help and tips so far.  I'll be at ApacheCon in a
couple weeks and will hopefully have a good chunk of this done to demo
:-).  I look forward to meeting some of you all there.
Cheers,

- Dan

1. http://www.springframework.org/docs/wiki/Spring_AOP_with_Hibernate.html
2. http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/