Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2013/03/16 19:43:00 UTC

[LOGGING] OSGi Meta data is the same for adapters and api jar Was: [VOTE] Release of Commons Logging 1.1.2 based on RC2

Hi Oliver

2013/3/16 Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>

> Build works fine on Windows 7 with Java 1.5 and 1.7, artifacts and site
> look good.
>
> One thing I noticed, not sure whether this is actually a problem: The
> artifacts for adapters and api have the same manifest information as the
> main jar. Are they intended to be used in an OSGi environment? Could this
> cause problems?

Logging can not be used without additional setup in an OSGi environment.
This is for "historical" reasons. The library was not designed with OSGi in
mind and making it OSGi ready would require to change packaging. Have a
look LOGGING-124 [1] for more information about this. I have tried to sum
up what we have learned about [logging] and OSGi in the wiki (see bottom of
[2]). Feel free to comment or add something :)

Regards,
Benedikt

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGGING-124
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/commons/Logging/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [LOGGING] OSGi Meta data is the same for adapters and api jar Was: [VOTE] Release of Commons Logging 1.1.2 based on RC2

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Oliver,

Many thanks for your feedback! I've requests feedback from the ML [1] but
nobody responded (I forgot to ping that thread to get some more
attention...). Please see my comments inline.

2013/3/18 Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>

> Am 16.03.2013 19:43, schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
>
>  Hi Oliver
>>

>> 2013/3/16 Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>
>>
>>  Build works fine on Windows 7 with Java 1.5 and 1.7, artifacts and site
>>> look good.
>>>
>>> One thing I noticed, not sure whether this is actually a problem: The
>>> artifacts for adapters and api have the same manifest information as the
>>> main jar. Are they intended to be used in an OSGi environment? Could this
>>> cause problems?
>>>

>> Logging can not be used without additional setup in an OSGi environment.
>> This is for "historical" reasons. The library was not designed with OSGi
>> in
>> mind and making it OSGi ready would require to change packaging. Have a
>> look LOGGING-124 [1] for more information about this. I have tried to sum
>> up what we have learned about [logging] and OSGi in the wiki (see bottom
>> of
>> [2]). Feel free to comment or add something :)
>>

> Hm, I have difficulties with understanding both your statement and the
> WIKI documentation. IIUC, you basically say that OSGi meta data does not
> really matter because [logging] does not work in an OSGi environment
> anyway. Wouldn't it then be better to drop it completely?

I don't say that (at least it was not my attention to say that :). We have
discussed this here on the ML, on the felix ML and in jira. The quint
essence was, that it is not possible to create correct OSGi meta data
without breaking BC.  Creating correct OSGi meta data would require us to
provide different artifacts than we now do (clean separation of API and
implementation).
Furthermore there are some technical reasons that make it hard to get
[logging] working in an OSGi environment (described in the wiki).
This is, why we came to the conclusion that it is better to let OSGi meta
data as is and point users to alternatives.

The WIKI says, it is "difficult to get commons-logging working in OSGi
> environments". This is not really helpful. If it is possible to make it
> work with OSGi, it should be described how this is done. Otherwise, it
> should be clearly stated.

It is described. The paragraph at the very bottom of the page states two
alternatives: pax logging and rebundles versions of [logging].
I'm no expert when it comes to OSGi and I just stepped in and did the
documentation part of this issue because I have the feeling people around
here are not too motivated when it comes to documentation in the wiki :)
If you see something that can be improved, feel free to change to docs!

Benedikt

[1] http://markmail.org/message/4znoshjmstnmos37

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.