Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dan Barron <db...@ddive.com> on 2004/04/07 08:09:19 UTC

Can AccessLogValve Cause Tomcat Performance Hit?

Hello,

We are seeing a performance hit to our server whenever we turn on
AccessLogValve for a virtual host in tomcat. Is this common or has anyone
else experienced this?  Any suggestions on how to configure for optimal
performance?

Below is the virtual host entry in server.xml - tomcat is running stand
alone on a Red Hat 9 Linux box - the box is dedicated to running tomcat -
there are two virtual hosts configured for the server, and only one has any
real traffic.

      <Host name="www.mysite.net" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
             unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
          <!-- <Alias>www.mysite.net</Alias> -->
                   directory="logs"  prefix="mysite.net." suffix=".txt"
                   timestamp="true"/>
                  directory="logs/mysite.net-acesslogs"
                  pattern="%t %a %A %h %m %p %U"
                  prefix="access_log." suffix=".txt"
                 timestamp="true"/>
           <Context path="" docBase="mysite.net/production" debug="0"/>
       </Host>

Thanks in advance!

Dan Barron
dbarron@dswllc.com

Re: Can AccessLogValve Cause Tomcat Performance Hit?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@jboss.org>.
Tim Funk wrote:
> Yes I can believe there is a performance hit. The valve reparses the
> string on every request. Since the Valve also uses a
> SimpleDateFormtatter - I think it is also restricted by the sync block
> imposed by that class.

Another thing: If you enabled host lookup on the connector, it can also
cause big problems with the access log.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Yes I can believe there is a performance hit. The valve reparses the string
on every request. Since the Valve also uses a SimpleDateFormtatter - I think
it is also restricted by the sync block imposed by that class.

-Tim